poorlittlefish Posted 2 Feb 2012 , 9:10am
post #1 of

Hi

I have a vegan sponge recipe that I've been using to make cupcakes with good results. I've turned it into chocolate, coconut, lemon versions etc and not had any problems. However, last night I thought I'd try a maple version. I kept the sugar the same and subsituted half the milk for maple syrup. When I went to check on the cupcakes I was horrified to see they were bubbling and looking very crazy. By the time I took them out they'd sunk so badly and spilled over the liners, resembling Yorkshire puddings rather than cupcakes!

I did wonder whether adding a syrup on top of the sugar would result in the sponge tasting too sweet, but didn't know how much sugar to swap out and I was worried that if I took out some sugar, I wouldn't have enough batter to go round. I had no idea that just 3 tbsp maple syrup instead of 3 tbsp soy milk would cause such chaos!

I'm reluctant to have to start using a completely different recipe just for one flavour variation, so I'd be very interested to hear from anyone who's made a successful maple version of their normal recipe. (PS I'm in the UK, so we don't have maple extract or maple sugar, just the syrup.)

Many thanks!

5 replies
KoryAK Posted 2 Feb 2012 , 6:30pm
post #2 of

I haven't tried maple, but I think since the syrup is basically completely sugar, you should have cut that back and left the milk. Without seeing the whole recipe, I can't tell you how much I'd recommend to cut though...

MsGF Posted 2 Feb 2012 , 7:10pm
post #3 of

I use Agave Nectar in recipes, and agave and maple syrup are of a very similar consistency. Try the tips on this site for substituting agave for sugar, but use maple syrup instead.

I hope you are using pure maple syrup, the fake stuff is all together different.

http://www.allaboutagave.com/substituting-agave-nectar-for-other-sugars.php

Good Luck let us know how it works.

sewsugarqueen Posted 6 Feb 2012 , 2:34am
post #4 of

I agree with the last post. Maple syrup is a form of sugar as well as a flavour. The real stuff is maple sap boiled down to get as much water out as possible and leave just sap/sugar. Find a recipe that can substitue a liquid sugar like corn syrup/treacle for maple syrup/. It's really sweet stuff so you might want to consider that as well. Be sure that it's not a mix of real maple syrup and fake stuff as well. Have you thought of using the maple syrup brushed on cakes after they are cooked for flavour?

poorlittlefish Posted 9 Feb 2012 , 11:53am
post #5 of

Well, I tried again and had success! This time I left out all the sugar (1 cup), replaced it with 3/4 cup maple syrup (the real stuff!) and cut down on the milk by 2 tbsp. The sponge rose just fine and tasted good, although the maple flavour was only very subtle. I did mean to brush the cakes with syrup when they came out of the oven but forgot all about it, so I brushed a little on when I came to add the frosting and the cakes were enjoyed.

Thanks for your help.

MsGF Posted 9 Feb 2012 , 12:32pm
post #6 of

Hooray for our successes. I'm very happy for you. Be sure to write it down so it will be great every time.

Have a Great Day!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%