First Fondant Cake Appearance And Pricing Feedback - Help

Business By blancs Updated 3 Feb 2012 , 8:51am by blancs

blancs Posted 2 Feb 2012 , 7:34am
post #1 of 3

Hi all,
I made what I would consider my first fondant cake for my niece's 1st bday (I had covered a 6" round about six years ago). I was very proud of myself with the end result, considering I made everything from scratch. And since it was my first time working with fondant and buttercream icing on a cake and all, I'd say all together I probably worked 30 hrs on it.
I would totally appreciate any feedback from a professional's point of view. Also, the cake resulted in me being asked to make three other cakes, not for any special occassions other than birthdays. But, I really have no idea what I could charge for a cake like this, considering I am an amateur. I'm from CA, I would deliver locally for friends. The cake was a 6"round, 8"round, and 9.5" square - these are estimates because I ended up having to trim some edging because it was browned and a little stiff from baking long. The feedback on taste was great though, everyone loved the frosting and cake flavors - chocolate and vanilla cakes with strawberry buttercream frosting and raspberry chocolate buttercream frosting.

Thank you in advance for anything you can offer (just take it easy on me, it was a real labor of love)!

2 replies
Vista Posted 2 Feb 2012 , 8:06am
post #2 of 3

Very nice work!! You definitely have a talent for it!!

As far as charging, unfortunately in CA it is not legal to sell cakes made in your home kitchen. If it is really a passion of yours you could gift cakes for now and build a portfolio and develop a following until you can rent a commercial kitchen. It would really stink if you got into trouble before you even got started!!

Can't wait to see more work from you!!

blancs Posted 3 Feb 2012 , 8:51am
post #3 of 3

WOW! Thank you so much for that information about CA, I had absolutely no idea. I think I'm going to start by signing myselfup for some classes.

Thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%