Wanting To Start My Own Cake Business

Business By samiam167 Updated 1 Feb 2012 , 4:36pm by AmysCakesNCandies

samiam167 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
samiam167 Posted 1 Feb 2012 , 4:09pm
post #1 of 3

Hi everyone I hope some of you can help me. For some time I have been wanting to start my own cake business starting with an "at-home" adventure. So far I have just been doing a few cakes here and there for friends and families for their parties. I've done a few birthday cakes and most recently I made the cake for my parents' big anniversary party. I have 2 cakes in the works right now for a friend's baby shower and for my sister's bridal shower. It is something I am very interested in doing, but my husband and I can't really afford for me to quit my job and just jump into something that may not pay well. I really just wondering if this is something that is worth pursuing and would later on with hard work, become a good full time paying job? Can anyone share how you are doing with your business if you started out like I am?

2 replies
billiev2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
billiev2000 Posted 1 Feb 2012 , 4:34pm
post #2 of 3

Before you start anything, you would need to check with your local and state health departments to find out what the rules are in your area for an "at-home" adventure. You also need to check with your local zoning board. HTH.

AmysCakesNCandies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmysCakesNCandies Posted 1 Feb 2012 , 4:36pm
post #3 of 3

First and foremost, make sure home cake businesses are legal in your kneck of the woods. Generally if you can do it "on the side" of your regular job for a while when you are getting started it will be better financially. This is my second time around starting a cake business (moves to a new state) and both times it took over a year to start to see a good profit and get a steady flow of clients. I am fortunate this time around that my husbands job supports us enough that it allowed my to take the time to grow my business, but the first time around I did it on nights and weekends as a second job. It takes time and money to grow a strong business The first year you are just getting the kinks out, the second year you are typically growing your reputation and I find year 3 to be the "magic year" where you start to make enough to call it a decent living. Be patient & do your homework. Good Luck

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%