How On Earth Do I Do This?

Decorating By jennifercullen Updated 1 Feb 2012 , 8:00pm by jennifercullen

jennifercullen Posted 1 Feb 2012 , 12:36pm
post #1 of 8

I've just sent someone a picture of a lovely cake I suggested just to give her some ideas, after she agreed to it I realised that I have no idea how to do the effect around the top of the cake! I dont even know what it is called and had never seen it before until quite recently! Could anyone help me with a name or better still a tutorial or a basic idea of how to do it please? Do you use the shell tool?

Thanks in advance!!

7 replies
msulli10 Posted 1 Feb 2012 , 12:54pm
post #2 of 8

There's no picture???

jennifercullen Posted 1 Feb 2012 , 7:12pm
post #3 of 8
jgifford Posted 1 Feb 2012 , 7:19pm
post #4 of 8

The "trim" around the top of the cake is done with a crimper. I've never seen them in stores, but a lot of cakes from the UK have that design on them so I would think they would be easy to find.

zetasilver Posted 1 Feb 2012 , 7:34pm
post #6 of 8

Ive seen the crimper on Ebay Jennifer and theres tutorials on how to use them on you tube x

ycknits Posted 1 Feb 2012 , 7:46pm
post #7 of 8

I love the impressions that crimpers make. I bought a set at my local cake supply store and use them lots.... more for trimming cake boards than the actual cakes. At first, they sort of intimidated me, but they're actually very quick and easy to use. Just make sure that you carefully mark the line around tha cake that you want to crimp before you start crimping. If it's not straight, you won't be able to change it icon_smile.gif

jennifercullen Posted 1 Feb 2012 , 8:00pm
post #8 of 8

Yay, brilliant, thanks so much everyone! Best get one ordered icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%