Wedding Cake Pricing And General Idea Of How To Make It

Decorating By Krista512 Updated 1 Feb 2012 , 4:43am by Krista512

Krista512 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Krista512 Posted 1 Feb 2012 , 3:27am
post #1 of 10

so my good friend loves my cakes i make i just make cakes for friends for birthdays and small stuff. i have never done a wedding cake.

she gave me a picture of a 3 tier square cake with white and polka dots that she wants to put real pink daisys on.

im going to have to drive an hour and half to take the cake there and know i need to calculate the gas.

but im not sure how to price the cake. i dont want to mess her over paying a whole lot and im not a pro cake decorator. but i need a profit too.

what would you charge. its going to be 3 tier with each tier 3 stacked cakes. with 2 tiers of vanilla and one strawberry and regular icing between the layers. it will all be fondant
LL

9 replies
Krista512 Posted 1 Feb 2012 , 3:34am
post #2 of 10

i know how to make the cake and decorate just need to know how to stack it properly and what are the best dowels to use. i have never done tiered cakes.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 1 Feb 2012 , 3:39am
post #3 of 10

What's the serving goal?
What size square tiers are you making?
We need more info.
http://www.wilton.com/cakes/tiered-cakes/stacked-tiered-cake-construction.cfm

Krista512 Posted 1 Feb 2012 , 3:44am
post #4 of 10

thats what im not sure about she likes the sizes in the picture but i dont know what sizes they are . she is having max 125 people she didnt say anything about serving size. what is standard. u usually make carved cakes and people get them for specific shapes not servings.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 1 Feb 2012 , 3:54am
post #5 of 10

This is standard:
http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-wedding-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm
1"x2"x4" or 2"x2"x2" (8 cu. in.) servings.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 1 Feb 2012 , 4:13am
post #6 of 10

That's not just a square cake. That's a tapered 3-tier square cake that looks to be somewhat topsy turvy. Not always an easy feat. And if you have an hour and a half drive, you might want to look at stacking the top tier at the venue. If I were you, I would practice stacking a cake before attempting this. Here is an excellent tutorial by tonedna...she's a CC'er who does amazing cakes and teaches her techniques on You Tube.

I could tell you how to do it, but watching someone is so much better I think.

Krista512 Posted 1 Feb 2012 , 4:17am
post #7 of 10

i watched a few videos at sweetwise.com i noticed it was tapered. she doesnt want topsy turvy just off centered squares. i was going to drive with three individual cakes and build it there. to me it loks like a 6, 8 amd 10 inch 3 cakes high? correct?? what would your price as an amature be for something like that. i know i can do the decorating and all that just never priced a cake like that.

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 1 Feb 2012 , 4:20am
post #8 of 10

if this is your first cake delivering that far away...you are going to want/need to get their early and stack the cakes there. i know a lot of people say that they can travel with a cake like that...but you never know what can happen on a drive that far!

unfortunately, there are many diff ways people stack cakes so you won't get just one straight answer.

Edna has a GREAT video on how to stack a cake

with the cake i see in the photo you are not going to have enough servings...it's a 6", 8", and 10" cake (servings: 16, 32, 50) you might or might not need more cake. not everyone eats cake really. unless they are saving the top tier...you could probably just make another 8" for the side to cut and serve.

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 1 Feb 2012 , 4:22am
post #9 of 10

btw, in that video edna is using plastic dowels from Wilton or wherever...you don't have to use that. I use xlarge straws now days....but it's all what you feel comfortable with.

if i was doing this cake as fondant covered like show it would be $3 a serving. you need to factor in your time, supplies, driving, skill level AND the area you live in for pricing really.

Krista512 Posted 1 Feb 2012 , 4:43am
post #10 of 10

they are going to have a grooms cake also

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%