Genoise Recipe

Decorating By Gerle Updated 1 Feb 2012 , 3:45am by Gerle

Gerle Posted 1 Feb 2012 , 12:34am
post #1 of 3

Ok, a while back -- not sure how far back -- there was a thread the mentioned a genoise recipe. I thought I printed it out, but have found only 2 pages, and it's incomplete. It was a recipe provided by someone (sorry...can't remember who!!!) who said they used it as a Valentine's Day dessert when cooking for a restaurant. They provided the whole recipe, which inclded a strawberry mousse. There's a comment on the first page that said the recipe cae from The Best of Gourmet 1987 Cookbook. I hope someone knows what recipe I'm talking about, because I'd like to get the whole recipe and try it. I've tried searching through the forum and through my watched topics, but have been unable to locate it. I was hoping to try it for Valentine's and started looking for it today without success. Please help!!

2 replies
Vista Posted 1 Feb 2012 , 2:33am
post #2 of 3

This is my absolute favorite.

I cant tell you how great this recipe is. I have made this cake every year since 1988. It never fails that everyone asks for the recipe. Professional cooks have asked for this recipe. I used it as the Valentines Day dessert when I cooked for a restaurant. I know that it looks like a lot of work but it makes a spectacular presentation, and the flavors are out of this world. This recipe is from the Best of Gourmet 1987 Cookbook.

Génoise batter (recipe follows)
1/3 cup rum syrup (recipe follows) I skip this part most of the time.
9 or 10 fresh strawberries, trimmed and halved lengthwise

Strawberry Mousse Filling (recipe follows)

About 1/2 pint fresh strawberries
1/4 cup red currant jelly
1 fresh mint sprig

Make the cake: Line the bottom of a buttered 8-inch springform pan with wax paper, butter the paper, and dust the pan with flour, knocking out the excess. Pour the génoise batter into the pan, smoothing the top, and bake it in the middle of a preheated 350-degree F oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or
until the top is golden and a tester comes out clean. Let the cake cool in the pan on a rack for 5 minutes, remove the sides of the pan, and invert the cake onto the rack. Remove the wax paper carefully and let the cake cool completely. The génoise may be made up to 1 day in advance and kept wrapped in plastic wrap at room temperature. Halve the cake horizontally with a serrated knife, arrange one half cut side
up on a 7-inch cardboard round covered tightly with foil, and brush some of the rum syrup over the cake. Set the cake on the cardboard round on the bottom of the springform pan, wrap a 3-inch-wide doubled sheet of foil tightly around the layer to form a cylindrical collar, and secure the foil with tape. Replace the sides of the pan around the foil and arrange the strawberries around the edge of the cake layer, cut sides flush with the foil collar and pointed ends up. Pour the strawberry mousse filling over the cake layer and strawberries, smoothing the top, cover it with the remaining cake layer cur side down, and brush the cake with the remaining rum syrup to taste. Chill the cake, covered, for at least 4 hours or overnight. Remove the sides of the pan and foil collar carefully. Arrange some of the strawberries, trimmed and sliced thin, in a decorative pattern on the cake. In a small saucepan melt the jelly with 1 tablespoon water over low heat, stirring, and brush the glaze over the strawberries, the cake layers, and the mousse. The cake may be made up to this point 3 hours in advance and kept covered loosely and chilled.

Just before serving transfer the cake from the cardboard to a cake plate, arrange a strawberry, cut almost but not completely through into thin slices, leaving the stem end intact, and fanned, open, in the center, and garnish it with the mint sprig. Arrange the remaining strawberries, trimmed and sliced thin, around the edge of the cake plate.

Génoise

2 large eggs
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons clarified butter, melted and cooled to lukewarm

In a metal bowl whisk together the eggs and the sugar, set the bowl over a pan of simmering water, and stir the mixture until it is warm and the sugar is dissolved. Remove the bowl from the pan and with an electric mixer beat the mixture at moderate speed for 10 to 15 minutes, or until it is triple in volume and cooled to room temperature. While the eggs are being beaten, sift the flour with the salt onto a sheet of wax paper and in a bowl combine the vanilla and the clarified butter. Sift and fold the flour mixture in batches into the egg mixture until the mixture is just combined, stir one fourth of the mixture into the butter mixture, and fold the butter mixture quickly into the batter.

Rum Syrup

4 tablespoons sugar
4 tablespoons dark rum

In a small saucepan combine the sugar, 3 tablespoons water, and the rum, bring the mixture to a boil, stirring until the sugar is dissolved, and let the syrup cool to room temperature. The syrup keeps, covered and chilled, indefinitely. Makes about 1/3 cup.

Strawberry Mousse Filling

A 10-ounce package frozen strawberries in syrup, thawed and
drained, reserving the syrup
1 envelope unflavored gelatin
2 tablespoon dark rum, or to taste
3/4 cup heavy cream

In a food processor purée the strawberries coarse. In a small saucepan sprinkle the gelatin over the reserved strawberry syrup combined with the rum, let it soften for 5 minutes, and heat the mixture over moderately low heat, stirring, until the gelatin is dissolved. With the motor running add the gelatin mixture in a stream to the strawberry purée and blend the mixture until it is combined. Transfer the strawberry mixture to a metal bowl set in a larger bowl of ice and cold water and stir the mixture until it is cold and thickened slightly, but do not let it begin to set. In a chilled bowl beat the cream until it holds soft peaks and fold it into the strawberry mixture. Do not make the filling in advance.

http://askville.amazon.com/favorite-dessert/AnswerViewer.do?requestId=53795482

Gerle Posted 1 Feb 2012 , 3:45am
post #3 of 3

Thank you Vista. This is exactly the recipe I was looking for.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%