Using Vodka On Fondant

Decorating By ChrisinFLA Updated 1 Feb 2012 , 3:32am by Vista

ChrisinFLA Posted 31 Jan 2012 , 11:28pm
post #1 of 8

Does anybody know if the alcohol content in the vodka will dissapate as it dries?

I've used vodka before for other cakes and there hasn't been an issue, however I have a cake to make for a child that takes medication and any residual of alcohol could be a serious problem.

Thank you.

7 replies
kmstreepey Posted 31 Jan 2012 , 11:49pm
post #2 of 8

I'm not sure the exact answer to this about the alcohol, but I do know you can use lemon juice instead of vodka. It also dries really quickly and you would have no issue at all with any alcohol. You wouldn't have to worry about it.

msthang1224 Posted 1 Feb 2012 , 2:07am
post #3 of 8

you can also use lemon extract.

Vista Posted 1 Feb 2012 , 2:28am
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by msthang1224

you can also use lemon extract.

Lemon extract also has a high alcohol content. The alcohol is what makes it dry quickly. If it were me I would not want to risk it. I would stick with lemon juice.

ChrisinFLA Posted 1 Feb 2012 , 2:41am
post #5 of 8

Thank you all for the help. I knew there was something else but couldn't remember what. I just don't want to take the chance of the child's medication having a reaction. She loves Hello Kitty, so that's what I'm going to make her for her birthday.

Thanks again.

grandmomof1 Posted 1 Feb 2012 , 3:06am
post #6 of 8

When in doubt, use water. Water will hold fondant decorations. It just takes longer to dry.

msthang1224 Posted 1 Feb 2012 , 3:11am
post #7 of 8

ooopppsss thanks Vista!

Vista Posted 1 Feb 2012 , 3:32am
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by msthang1224

ooopppsss thanks Vista!

That is what we are all here for!! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%