Cake Making/storing Questions

Decorating By trishalynn0708 Updated 31 Jan 2012 , 9:07pm by kakeladi

trishalynn0708 Posted 31 Jan 2012 , 7:57pm
post #1 of 4

I have a cake I need to make for my dad and brother for the weekend of the 16th.. My question's are..

If I make the cakes the night before, can I put my crumb coat on, frost it and then leave it sit out? Or should I refrigerate it?? I don't want my cake to get hard being in the fridge so this is why i'm asking..

I am going to be using Wilton's buttercream recipe..

Also, how would I cover/store this cake after I have it decorated? I am planning to make the cake Wednesday morning, crumb coat it and put my final coat on the outside. Then Thursday I am planning to do all the decorating and the actual party is Friday.. So that is a 3 days process, waiting this long is that going to dry my cake out??

So should I wrap it in saran wrap? Store in the refrigerator? Leave it out covered?? Really could use some insight on how other's store their cakes since I know that the buttercream does NOT have to be refrigerated...

3 replies
sillywabbitz Posted 31 Jan 2012 , 8:27pm
post #2 of 4

You can absolutely leave it out. I don't actually crumb coat any more since I started using the icer tip and SugarShack's recipe and buttercream techniques. But if you get a good crumb coat on it, it should seal it enough to sit out without drying out. If you feel it's not well sealed you can crumb coat, stick it in the fridge to set the crumb coat and then cover it with saran and leave it on the table until your final coat. If you don't crumb coat it, dam and fill the layers and wrap well in saran wrap and leave it to settle on the counter. Once the final coat is on, it is fine sitting on the table. I either put my iced cakes in a baker box or I have those food tents for picnics (mine of not netting, they're like some other material, and I'll place those over an iced cake to keep dust and anything else from getting on them.

I hope that helps. I highly recommend Sugar Shack's The Art of Perfecting Buttercream DVD from

It has some awesome tips on working and smooth buttercream as well as eliminating the bulge.

billiev2000 Posted 31 Jan 2012 , 8:47pm
post #3 of 4

Once I get a good crumb coat on, all my cakes set out. You don't need to worry about your cake drying out. I agree with the above comment, though, that you'll want to cover with something to keep dust, etc. off of your masterpiece.

kakeladi Posted 31 Jan 2012 , 9:07pm
post #4 of 4

.......crumb coat, stick it in the fridge to set the crumb coat and then cover it with saran and leave it on the table until your final coat.........
Not necessary. Once crumbed it does NOT need to be put in the frig nor covered w/saran. It can sit out uncovered for at least 3 days w/o fear of drying out.

Also after it is completed it sits out w/o a problem.

Quote by @%username% on %date%