Hershey Choclate Cake Recipe From Here Not Rising

Decorating By Kiddiekakes Updated 1 Feb 2012 , 2:34pm by fcakes

Kiddiekakes Posted 31 Jan 2012 , 4:38pm
post #1 of 13

I have baked this recipe several times now and although it is delicious and dense the darn cake does not rise.It bakes up so flat and then caves in the middle.I have 2-8 inch cakes in the oven right now and they are so flat...Grrrrrr icon_mad.gificon_mad.gif

Is this recipe supposed to do this?? Or is it the baker icon_wink.gificon_wink.gif

Thanks thumbs_up.gif

12 replies
Wildgirl Posted 31 Jan 2012 , 4:43pm
post #2 of 13

If it's you, then it's me too. I used to use this recipe with success, but this last week it did the same as yours. Finally someone here gave me the Martha Stewart one bowl recipe and it worked great! Nice and tall and even more chocolatey! I'll see if I can find it.....

(and after my posting about my demise with the hershey's recipe, I came across a ton of unhappy comments about it!)

Ok, here it is -- http://www.marthastewart.com/346395/one-bowl-chocolate-cake

FromScratchSF was the one that posted it for me. I need to give that woman a hug. This recipe saved me. It's super easy and worked way better than the hershey's - and I think it tasted better too.

Kiddiekakes Posted 31 Jan 2012 , 5:28pm
post #3 of 13

Wildgirl...You are the best..Thanks for posting Marthas recipe ..I am getting so frustrated with the hersheys...I just took them out of the oven and they are a flat as a board and fell apart when I tried to flip them out.I am so pissed..All that money out the window...This is exactly why I hate scratch baking!!! LOL

Wildgirl Posted 31 Jan 2012 , 5:31pm
post #4 of 13

I totally understand about throwing money away - I did a LOT of that last week. That's why I was so happy with this new recipe - finally something that works.

mystsparkle Posted 31 Jan 2012 , 5:37pm
post #5 of 13

Kiddiekakes : keep the messed up cake and use to make cake pops!!

Kiddiekakes Posted 31 Jan 2012 , 5:42pm
post #6 of 13

Do you use butter to grease the pans ro shortening??Does it matter...

Kiddiekakes Posted 31 Jan 2012 , 5:50pm
post #7 of 13

Ahhh..I already got mad and threw it into the garbage....It was kinda doughy anyways!!

Wildgirl Posted 31 Jan 2012 , 6:06pm
post #8 of 13

I don't think it really matters, but I've always kept the wrappers from butter sticks in the fridge - I use them to butter pans.

Kiddiekakes Posted 31 Jan 2012 , 6:07pm
post #9 of 13

Okay great..I'll give it a whirl...

pmarks0 Posted 31 Jan 2012 , 6:20pm
post #10 of 13

Wildgirl - I was reading the recipe from the link and it's mentions 1/2 cups warm water which isn't in the ingredient list. From the comments on the recipe it seems to confuse people. I pretty much trust anythig FromScratchSF recomments as I've done several of her recipes. What do you do about the water? Include it or not?

Wildgirl Posted 31 Jan 2012 , 9:13pm
post #11 of 13

Yes! I read somewhere how Martha Stewart's recipe can confuse people since she doesn't include that in her ingredient list. I just hand wrote it on there. But do include it!

scp1127 Posted 1 Feb 2012 , 6:57am
post #12 of 13

The Hershey's cake needs adjustments. It has a tendency to sink as written. There are many threads on the adjustments to this recipe. I use it as my basic chocolate cake. The recipes with quality chocolate are al different.

fcakes Posted 1 Feb 2012 , 2:34pm
post #13 of 13

I use Hershey's chocolate cake recipe all the time and it works for me every single time!

Quote by @%username% on %date%