Decorating A Cake Board

Decorating By huntlilbel Updated 31 Jan 2012 , 7:48pm by Texas_Rose

huntlilbel Posted 31 Jan 2012 , 3:00pm
post #1 of 13

Im making a cake (duh...) I want to have the board look nice as well. its for my friends wedding. they are doing things rather simple, i had to talk her out of just doing a sheet cake icon_eek.gif . I feel like I have seen people decorate the cake board with royal icing? Ive never done anything special or fancy with the board but want it to look nice. thanks in advance icon_wink.gif

12 replies
cakegrandma Posted 31 Jan 2012 , 3:24pm
post #2 of 13

I would not put Royal Icing on just the cardboard cake board as it will warp from all the liquid in the icing. I would get a cake drum and put fondant on it. You could color the fondant the accent color of the cake, use an impression mat to make it look more interesting or paint on it. There are many pictures on here to look at for ideas, maybe one of them will give you other ideas. Good Luck!
evelyn

Apti Posted 31 Jan 2012 , 3:39pm
post #3 of 13

Here's an excellent video by Marsha Winbeckler, "How To Cover A Cake Board"

You can also use fondant to cover a cake board as suggested in the previous post.

huntlilbel Posted 31 Jan 2012 , 4:30pm
post #4 of 13

what is a cake drum?

cai0311 Posted 31 Jan 2012 , 4:40pm
post #5 of 13

I use cake drums as the base for all my cakes. They come in white, gold and silver. I purchase mine from Global Sugar Art.

They are really sturdy. I use them all on my cake because they look nice and hold a lot of weight.

http://www.globalsugarart.com/search.php?q=cake+dums#/?q=cake%20drum&page=1

huntlilbel Posted 31 Jan 2012 , 4:49pm
post #6 of 13

then how would you cover a cake board or drum with fondant? if there is info on this site about it i have had a hard time searching icon_cry.gif i will look again now that i know more specific what im looking for icon_wink.gif

CWR41 Posted 31 Jan 2012 , 5:05pm
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by cai0311

They come in white, gold and silver.

And black:
http://cakedeco.com/cgi-bin/webc.cgi/st_main.html?p_catid=388

cakegrandma Posted 31 Jan 2012 , 5:11pm
post #8 of 13

To cover either the cake board or drum are the same. You may need to double or triple your cake board, depending on how large and heavy you cake is. You will roll your fondant out about 2 inches larger than the board you are going to cover, use a little piping gel over the top of the boards and if using a drum put a little on the sides. When you have rolled the fondant out to size, turn the board/s or drum over on top of the fondant. At this point turn everything over, this leaves the fondant on top and you will smooth the top and the fondant onto the sides. You can trim the excess off with a pizza cutter or a knife, again then run your hand over every where to be sure fondant is attached. Leave to dry if you want or use immediately.
evelyn

Apti Posted 31 Jan 2012 , 5:59pm
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntlilbel

then how would you cover a cake board or drum with fondant? if there is info on this site about it i have had a hard time searching icon_cry.gif i will look again now that i know more specific what im looking for icon_wink.gif

Don't feel bad! All of us went through this in the beginning. Coming to CakeCentral for advice is the smartest thing you can do since everyone here is so helpful and experienced.

Cake Circle - A single piece of cardboard. It can be grease-resistant, grease-proof, or regular cardboard. It can come with pretty gold or black or white grease-proof on the "display" side that will be seen under the cake.

Cake Drum - A THICKER base to place under heavier cakes. It can be 1/2" thick foamcore (purchased at a craft store), it can be a pre-made cake drum, it can simply be 3-4 cake circles taped together. You can make your own cake drum by using 3-4 pieces of cardboard, taped together. YOU MUST ALTERNATE THE CORRUGATIONS TO GIVE IT STRENGTH OR IT WILL BEND! In other words, the bottom cardboard should be placed with corrugations going from north to south, the one that goes atop that one, place the corrugations going from east to west, and so on.

Do NOT use the Wilton brand cake drums under ANY cake that is higher than 4"-- it WILL bend!

Here's a good video on how to cover a cake board with fondant. (She's using 1/2" foamcore as her base. At the end of the video she does NOT show you how to wrap a ribbon around the exposed edges. You will have to do that after you cover the top of the board with fondant.)

kathyw Posted 31 Jan 2012 , 6:24pm
post #10 of 13

I also use nice scrapbooking paper and cover it with clear contact paper.

Texas_Rose Posted 31 Jan 2012 , 6:58pm
post #11 of 13

I use fondant, but put it on foamcore. Cut several thicknesses of foamcore to the size you need (trace a bigger round pan is the easiest way) with a box cutter. Glue them together with tacky glue. Put a blob of fondant (I use MMF) directly onto the cake board, no piping gel, no water, nothing else, just fondant straight onto the bare board. Roll it in all directions until the board is covered. Roll off the edges to make a nice edge for the fondant. You will have the edge of the foamboard exposed at this point...finish it by gluing on a pretty ribbon with tacky glue.

huntlilbel Posted 31 Jan 2012 , 7:14pm
post #12 of 13

can i buy foamcore in the store? like at micheals? i need to deliver the cake on friday for saturdays wedding. It is only a small 2 tiered cake, as they also want my to make 300 cupcakes...

Texas_Rose Posted 31 Jan 2012 , 7:48pm
post #13 of 13

Yes, Michaels has foamcore. It's usually about $3 per sheet and you can cut several boards from it. For a two-tier cake you only need two thicknesses of foamcore for the board, so one sheet would probably do the job.

I use a box cutter from the hardware store, the kind that flips open like a pocket knife. When the blade is sharp, it makes nice smooth cuts and it's a lot easier than using an xacto knife.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%