Tender Moist Crumb In A Scratch Cake?

Baking By rowantree Updated 31 Jan 2012 , 3:35am by kmstreepey

rowantree Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rowantree Posted 31 Jan 2012 , 1:50am
post #1 of 3

I'm going crazy here trying to find recipes for cakes and cupcakes that have the same tender fine moist crumb that I get with a Duncan Hines mix.

My husband says my scratch cakes are all too heavy! icon_sad.gif They are moist,a nd yummy, but, I admit they are a bit heavy.

What is the answer? Does anyone have the perfect recipe for a basic vanilla cake, chocolate cake, and yellow cake?

2 replies
Tobita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tobita Posted 31 Jan 2012 , 2:22am
post #2 of 3

I'm still searching for that perfect yellow/vanilla cake too. In the homemade chocolate department....my
favorite cake is the recipe on the back of the Hershey Cocoa container and for a super tasty poundcake
I use the recipe from www.joyofbaking.com/CreamCheesePoundCake.html except that I only use 4 eggs.

kmstreepey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kmstreepey Posted 31 Jan 2012 , 3:35am
post #3 of 3

There are several "bake-off" threads on here for the best scratch cakes. I know I saw a white cake one several months ago and I'm pretty sure I saw a yellow cake one recently. That should give you somewhere to start. Just start trying some and see which you like. Also, the mixing method has a lot to do with the final texture, too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%