Help With Cake Size For Birthday Party

Decorating By KaraN Updated 1 Feb 2012 , 3:16am by KaraN

KaraN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KaraN Posted 30 Jan 2012 , 6:23pm
post #1 of 10

I am going to do an 80th birthday party cake for my father in law. There are 80 people invited but I thought I might want to make it to serve around 95 or so just to be on the safe side...and if people want seconds. I was hoping to do a 2 tier but don't think that will work, so probably 3 tier. Can someone please help me on getting the right tier sizes for this cake. I don't want the slices to be tiny like for a wedding, and I was hoping not to go bigger than 12" if possible on the bottom tier. Not sure if that is possible. Thanks!

9 replies
metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 30 Jan 2012 , 8:07pm
post #2 of 10

what shape pans do you want to use? e.g. round or square?

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 30 Jan 2012 , 8:09pm
post #3 of 10

There are so many ways one could go it would be very helpful if you give us an idea of that size and shape pans you have to use.

KaraN Posted 30 Jan 2012 , 8:49pm
post #4 of 10

It will be round I believe. Would like to do just a 2 tier if I can pull it off and feed that many people, but don't know if that will work. I will do a 3 tier if I need to.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 31 Jan 2012 , 3:09am
post #5 of 10

Well, a 12x16 (or 1icon_cool.gifx 4" sheet topped with an 8x4" round would do it.
OR 12, 10,8 (each 4" tall) should also.

hollyml Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollyml Posted 31 Jan 2012 , 11:14pm
post #6 of 10

80 people invited, or 80 people attending? Also, how many of those 80 people are elderly? They're likely to want quite small pieces IME. 80 "party" size servings seems like it should be more than enough if it's 80 invited.

Still, if you'd rather do only two tiers, you're probably going to have to go bigger than 12" on the bottom. 14 on the bottom plus 8, 9, or 10 on top would do it.

Or what about doing a somewhat smaller two-tier for display, plus a "kitchen" sheet to be cut if and as needed?

Holly

KaraN Posted 1 Feb 2012 , 2:42am
post #7 of 10

Thanks for your suggestions. Holly - 80 people invited. I figured better to have cake left over than not enough but you make a good point. I'm thinking I might go with a 3 tier since I don't know how a 2 tier will look with such big sizes...so suggestions for 3 tier sizes? icon_smile.gif

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 1 Feb 2012 , 3:03am
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollyml

Or what about doing a somewhat smaller two-tier for display, plus a "kitchen" sheet to be cut if and as needed?

This is what I would recommend, maybe a 12/8 with a quarter sheet kitchen cake.

KaraN Posted 1 Feb 2012 , 3:16am
post #10 of 10

What a great cake calculator! Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%