Do Your Kids Eat Cake?

Lounge By wannabecute Updated 5 Feb 2012 , 10:18pm by zespri

wannabecute Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wannabecute Posted 30 Jan 2012 , 2:44pm
post #1 of 16

My kids will not eat my cakes! I just bake for friends, family and fun - and everyone loves my cakes but my kids. They now want me to buy them cakes from the grocery store for their birthdays! I am thinking this is because they are tired of them - I bake all the time, but a grocery store cake - really!? Anyone else have kids who do this?

15 replies
dukeswalker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dukeswalker Posted 30 Jan 2012 , 3:33pm
post #2 of 16

my kids (and husband) actually hover, waiting for scraps & leftovers. They're like cute vultures. icon_wink.gif

idreamincupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idreamincupcakes Posted 30 Jan 2012 , 4:08pm
post #3 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukeswalker

my kids (and husband) actually hover, waiting for scraps & leftovers. They're like cute vultures. icon_wink.gif

Mine too! I have a strict ask before grab policy icon_smile.gif

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 30 Jan 2012 , 4:14pm
post #4 of 16

Mine was an adult when I started cake decorating but along a similar line...I make my macaroni and cheese from scratch and every time I would say that's what's for dinner, her eyes would light up and she'd ask "Kraft?" and would be disappointed when I said no icon_lol.gif.

wannabecute Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wannabecute Posted 30 Jan 2012 , 4:27pm
post #5 of 16

That makes me feel a little better Elcee! (btw my kids would rather have kraft mac and cheese over homemade any day! lol)

Cupcations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cupcations Posted 30 Jan 2012 , 4:48pm
post #6 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukeswalker

x2
I ALWAYS have to make extra cupcakes for the kids!

dukeswalker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dukeswalker Posted 30 Jan 2012 , 4:56pm
post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcee

Mine was an adult when I started cake decorating but along a similar line...I make my macaroni and cheese from scratch and every time I would say that's what's for dinner, her eyes would light up and she'd ask "Kraft?" and would be disappointed when I said no icon_lol.gif.

THIS I can relate to!

Vista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vista Posted 30 Jan 2012 , 8:46pm
post #8 of 16

My kids have never cared for cake. Even before I started baking (6 years ago), they would turn down cake at birthday parties all the time. Now they beg for it, but never eat more than a few bites, if that. But I think my kids are weird because they will eat asparagus before they will eat an apple!!

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 30 Jan 2012 , 9:09pm
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vista

My kids have never cared for cake. Even before I started baking (6 years ago), they would turn down cake at birthday parties all the time. Now they beg for it, but never eat more than a few bites, if that. But I think my kids are weird because they will eat asparagus before they will eat an apple!!

I had to slap my ds's hands when I was doing cakes - - from the batter to the fondant it was a battle. Now that he's not at home, I miss it. But I know what you mean - - my 2 dds would eat cauliflower, but not mac-n-cheese or green beans and those are kid foods!!

Vista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vista Posted 30 Jan 2012 , 10:30pm
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgifford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vista

I had to slap my ds's hands when I was doing cakes - - from the batter to the fondant it was a battle. Now that he's not at home, I miss it. But I know what you mean - - my 2 dds would eat cauliflower, but not mac-n-cheese or green beans and those are kid foods!!

My youngest is a different story (20 months), he LOVES everything to do with cake. It takes a lot of creativity to keep him from eating my gumpaste decorations. He even ate a GP rose once that I had made as practice 2 weeks earlier! But he won't touch a hotdog!!

syarber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
syarber Posted 31 Jan 2012 , 12:27am
post #11 of 16

My kids love cake but if I say its a new recipes or experiment they won't touch it. lol My youngest loves ketchup and salsa. He mixes them together and drinks it. icon_confused.gif Its so gross but since its 90% salsa, I guess I can't complain he's getting his veggies.

Karema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karema Posted 1 Feb 2012 , 12:17am
post #12 of 16

My kids are cake snobs!!! They will eat someone else's cake and if it's not good I get a look and they won't take another bite!!! I'm so embarrassed sometimes but I laugh bc they know what they like. I have brought them cupcakes from expensive bakeries sometimes and they take a bite and say really loud "Mommy your cupcakes taste way better than this!"

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 5 Feb 2012 , 2:13am
post #13 of 16

My kids are also cake snobs, but since my son is 16 he'll overlook the inferiority of the baked product if it means that he can eat it. My daughter, on the other hand, won't eat anyone else's cake but mine, And when she goes to other kids' birthday parties she won't eat the cake.

rosech Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosech Posted 5 Feb 2012 , 12:55pm
post #14 of 16

There is a dummy I made with 30 roses for display. My kids told me I was wasting the flowers. I was supposed to give them the roses to eat! They fight to leak bowls if I work when they are still up. Hubby joins in on cake scraps. Everyone complains when I give the cat some. He is the luckiest as he is up most of the time when mum works late.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 5 Feb 2012 , 5:23pm
post #15 of 16

My kids love my cake and will tell me that my cake tastes better than other cake, and when they first see other cakes they tell me I could have done a better job!

zespri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zespri Posted 5 Feb 2012 , 10:18pm
post #16 of 16

My HUSBAND won't eat my cakes *sigh* Everyone says to him "oh you're so lucky to have a wife who makes these amazing cakes". Yeah... not so much. It's not that my cakes are bad, it's just that he is always being careful how many calories go into his mouth, and cakes just aren't worth the calories for him, he has a savoury tooth and would rather eat a sausage roll. ppffftt!!

wannabecute - maybe your kids have a perception that store bought is better than home-made? I used to think that when I was a kid. Now I know different, but it might be worth re-educating them to know that store-bought anything is just for convenience, and home-made is always better for you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%