Mirror Icing

Baking By sissy-1 Updated 17 Jan 2013 , 5:54pm by cakeyouverymuch

sissy-1 Posted 29 Jan 2012 , 6:54pm
post #1 of 6

[i] I've been seeing this Mirror Icing on several cakes and I'm wondering what this is. Can anyone tell me about it? Do you have to buy it or is a recipie for it? Thanks for any info!

5 replies
shelbycompany Posted 29 Jan 2012 , 7:31pm
post #2 of 6

Can you post a pic so we know what you're talking about. this sounds interesting. Thanks.

auzzi Posted 29 Jan 2012 , 9:28pm
post #3 of 6

It is called Chocolate Miroir or Glaçage au Chocolat

sissy-1 Posted 17 Jan 2013 , 4:34pm
post #4 of 6


Chocolate Mirror Icing. I know you can but, but I wonder if there are any good recipies to make at home? Looks sooo pretty!

leah_s Posted 17 Jan 2013 , 4:58pm
post #5 of 6

Why isn't that ganache with a bit of corn syrup added?

cakeyouverymuch Posted 17 Jan 2013 , 5:54pm
post #6 of 6

Ganache with corn syrup doesn't maintain the shine that you get with a well made mirror glaze. 


There is a recipe for it in Rose's Heavenly Cakes. . . there are also recipes on the 'net if you Google Chocolate Mirror Glaze.


I've made it once  http://grandmasugarskitchen.blogspot.ca/2012/03/two-cakes-today.html


The cake (ganache/mousse) under the glaze must be perfectly smooth.  The slightest flaw will show (as you can see along the edge of my own example), though once it dries, I suppose you could give it a second coat to disguise the flaws. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%