Modeling Choc Figures- How Far In Advance?

Decorating By MaurorLess67 Updated 30 Jan 2012 , 5:35am by MaurorLess67

MaurorLess67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaurorLess67 Posted 29 Jan 2012 , 1:27pm
post #1 of 5

Hi Guys-

I have affew questions about modeling chocolate figures-

1) How far in advance can I make the characters? I have two cakes- one an angry bird - which I am making the birds from modelling chocolate- its for a 4yr old birthday- so I am assuming the little ones will want to take a bite out of them - as well as the pillars/wood planks and isolmalt cubes for the structure and sling shot-

The second cake is a version of the cute owl that has become so popular recently for a 1yr old birthday (same party- they are brother and sister)

With two cakes due on the same day- same party- I would like to make as much ahead of time as possible- if I make the birds and owl etc this week- will they keep?-- I'm worried that they will not stay "fresh"-- shiny, no cracks, fading etc- also what about the isomalt cubes- how long will they keep?

2) How should I color the modelling chocolate? Would using the Americolor gel colors be ok? or would I have to buy special chocolate coloring?

This is my first time using modelling chocolate as you can tell- ha!!!

Thank you so much fro any and all advice!

Mo

4 replies
Mplspam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mplspam Posted 29 Jan 2012 , 4:59pm
post #2 of 5

I have used modeling chocolate before and have found out some interesting things. The type of chocolate used makes a huge difference as to the texture of the chocolate. After trying great tasting chocolates I found Wiltons discs turns into the best result. My recipe is 1cup of discs and 2 1/2 T. of light corn syrup. Melt at intervals in microwave. You don't want to burn it. Add corn syrup and stir up. It'll get very thick. I put it in saran wrap and let cure overnight. Start kneading with your hands and it turns very smooth. Coloring is easy - you can use the americolor gel. I mix it into the chocolate as I'm melting it in the microwave. Figures last an amazing amount of time. I would say a few weeks and it should still be looking great.

ycknits Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ycknits Posted 29 Jan 2012 , 10:03pm
post #3 of 5

I did a horse head recently out of candy clay (Wilton's candy melt recipe) and made it about 1 1/2 weeks ahead of time (same logic on working ahead as you, and I was worried about whether or not I could achieve what I wanted the first time around). When it was time for final assembly, I thought that they candy clay had "dulled-down" or lost some of its lustre in places. I addressed this by putting a little Crisco on my finger tip and rubbing it over the surface. The shortening, plus the warmth in my fingers, brought the lustre back again. Here's a photo of my cake:

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2246391/blue-ribbon-horse

billiev2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
billiev2000 Posted 29 Jan 2012 , 11:50pm
post #4 of 5

The "Kiss" cake in my gallery was done with modeling chocolate. I made the figures a week and a half in advance. The figures that were eaten were said to be delicious. The other figures were stored uncovered and still look as good as the day I made them. That was 2 yrs. ago. (Although they still look good I would not be brave enough to eat them) LOL. The recipe that I use is from Colette Peters which uses almond bark and corn syrup. Also I hand painted them using airbrush colors. HTH.

MaurorLess67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaurorLess67 Posted 30 Jan 2012 , 5:35am
post #5 of 5

First let me say, WOW- your cakes and sculpting are AMAZING!! thumbs_up.gif You guys are so talented.

Thank you so much for your responses- so detailed, chock full of needed info as well!!! I now feel a little more confident to do the figures-

I was going to buy the Satin Ice modeling chocolate- but it looks like it won't be too hard to make- I think I will give it a shot this week- and if I can't seem to master making it- I'll buy it- (hey maybe it will give me confidence to make MMF- probably not- ha!!)

I really have to learn how to post pics- actually I have to learn to take decent pics of my cakes- Hell, I need to learn alot!!!! This caking is addicting--- I guess my tag line should be- "Hi, my name is Maureen..." icon_lol.gif

I just love, love, love cakecentral and my fellow members- everyone is so helpful-

Thank you so much again

Mo

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%