How Do I Tint Fondant To Match Bridesmaids Dresses??

Decorating By KimsSweetTreats Updated 30 Jan 2012 , 3:12am by TammyH

KimsSweetTreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimsSweetTreats Posted 29 Jan 2012 , 1:56am
post #1 of 6

I will be making 15 cakes (one for each table) for a wedding reception in June. The bride has chosen the David's Bridal color "Clover" for her bridesmaids' dresses. They want the cakes to look like gift boxes/presents and the ribbon/bow to be the Clover color. Any ideas on how to tint that much fondant and get the right color?? icon_eek.gif

5 replies
msthang1224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msthang1224 Posted 29 Jan 2012 , 2:01am
post #2 of 6

Hi,

When i have to color a large amount of fondant, I usually color a good size ball with the color I want but a shade or two darker, and then add that ball of fondant to the larger portion of my fondant, then work from there.

HTH

Jimbos76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jimbos76 Posted 29 Jan 2012 , 2:11am
post #3 of 6

David's Bridal sells fabric swatches. I would ask the bride to provide you with a swatch and do what the previous poster mentioned Just keep playing with it until you get a match to the fabric. Good luck!

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 29 Jan 2012 , 3:04am
post #4 of 6

Also be sure the bride knows that edible medium is not going to match 100%. This is not like you buy the coordinating ribbon from David's bridal. The natural color of the fondant. The variations in the different color of greens etc. Just be clear that you will get as close as possible but you can not guarentee an identical match.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 29 Jan 2012 , 8:37am
post #5 of 6

Yes, buy a swatch. A small swatch is $1 plus tax. They will ask the name of the bride so the purchase goes into their file and they can tell the bride who bought what or whatever.

I just bought a swatch this week. Any hints on making Regency Purple? icon_smile.gif

TammyH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TammyH Posted 30 Jan 2012 , 3:12am
post #6 of 6

I don't know if they still do it but choco pan used to color match to sherwin Williams paint chips. I did that for a wedding but it was about 6 years ago. It was the same thing. 30 table cakes with matching bows.

HTH

TammyH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%