Facebook And A Business Page..few Questions...

Lounge By Kiddiekakes Updated 9 Feb 2012 , 6:04am by LoveMeSomeCake615

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 28 Jan 2012 , 4:14pm
post #1 of 29

I looked and looked in the search fields for something related to this and couldn't find what I was looking for...

For those of you who are familiar with Facebook...

When you create a page does the amount of friends who like your page determine how much it is seen.Like Google...the higher up you get the easier it is to find your site? Does this ony apply if you advertise on facebook by buying it?I see all these businesses on Facebook that have hundreds of likes...How do you get people to like your page if they don't have access to it or you only have a limited number of friends and not thousands..(Which who does unless your are a celebrity)

Is it even worth having a page unless it gets lots of traffic?I've cross referenced lot sof businesses through the likes on pages and then post on their wall but some come back and do not want you advertising on their wall..What else can yah do to create buzz and business?

Thanks thumbs_up.gif

28 replies
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 28 Jan 2012 , 6:19pm
post #2 of 29

IMO it's not very professional for a business to have only a facebook page, it's fine if you want to supplement an existing web site with a facebook page but it's important to have your own domain and a standalone site.

Ideally you would be driving customers to your standalone web site with some basic SEO as well as ads on Google and Facebook.

Kiddiekakes Posted 28 Jan 2012 , 6:23pm
post #3 of 29

I do have a website also so the facebook page is not the only way I draw business..Thanks anyways..

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 28 Jan 2012 , 6:46pm
post #4 of 29

It takes a while to build up the numbers. What helped me a lot was a couple of bloggers who had tried or seen my cakes/cupcakes and blogged about me. They have a huge following and lots of their readers liked my site. Your friends will become fans, so will some of their friends, some of their friends etc. Once you get a couple hundred fans, you can do a giveaway or something - I have done this a couple of times and people love it. They will tell their friends who may not be fans, so they will also like your site etc etc. I don't think the number of fans you have makes any difference to the way people find your Facebook page. Also, put a link to your Facebook page on your website homepage. You must use an approved Facebook button, the info is on their site. Hope that helps, and good luck!

Kiddiekakes Posted 28 Jan 2012 , 6:50pm
post #5 of 29

Thnaks Dayti..Your information is helpful!!

Dayti Posted 28 Jan 2012 , 7:49pm
post #6 of 29

Oh and forgot to say, I hate it when other cakers or companies blatantly push their products/pages on my wall. I tend to just delete their posts. What I don't mind is them leaving comments on posts or photos of mine. If you want, you can tag other cakers/companies in your posts on your own wall (e.g. "look at the fantastic cake that so and so did", or "I made this cake using a texture mat from so and so"), and that helps you network since your post will also appear on their wall, and new people might click back to you. You have to have previously liked those people/companies you want to tag, same as on your personal FB page.

Kiddiekakes Posted 28 Jan 2012 , 11:17pm
post #7 of 29

I'm not sure how tagging works ..What do I do??

Dayti Posted 28 Jan 2012 , 11:21pm
post #8 of 29

You just add a @ right before the name of the person/company you want to mention in your post. When you start typing after the @ (don't put a space after it) it will offer suggestions of who you want to tag icon_wink.gif

Kiddiekakes Posted 28 Jan 2012 , 11:30pm
post #9 of 29

so say I want to take a business name like Kiddiekaes..I just add BLAH BLAH BLAH@ kiddiekakes and it will tag the name?

Dayti Posted 28 Jan 2012 , 11:42pm
post #10 of 29

Yep, but no space after the @, so you'd type BLABLABLA @kiddiekakes It turns into a highlighted portion of your post (and the @ disappears), and when you publish it it turns into a link that people can click on. I just checked and you don't need to be a fan of the page you are talking about, but I think you had to be in the past. They must have changed it.

Kiddiekakes Posted 28 Jan 2012 , 11:46pm
post #11 of 29

Okay..so I understand that now....I'm gonna try tagging tomorrow....I am so computer illiterate on these social networks on so many levels....

Dayti Posted 28 Jan 2012 , 11:50pm
post #12 of 29

If you have a personal page you can do the same thing, try it out on a best friend or someone first. It's easy when you get the hang of it!

schmulie14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
schmulie14 Posted 29 Jan 2012 , 12:11am
post #13 of 29

You can also invite all of your personal friends to "like" your business page as long as the accounts are linked. The more likes you have the more people see what you post. You can track this by looking at the insights for your page. If someone "likes" one of your photos or status updates many of their friends will see it too which might encourage them to check you out.

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 30 Jan 2012 , 4:01am
post #14 of 29

another good tool, after you create your page use your new business page to go and like local businesses and/or products you like. you switch over to your page as a user and just type in the search engine like you would any other time. those people will see that you liked them and they may like you back...or you just post something on THEIR page about taking a look at your services or photos icon_smile.gif

Cupcations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cupcations Posted 30 Jan 2012 , 4:35pm
post #15 of 29

tagging Tagging TAGGING!!

The more pages you tag the more fans you get. Also like and share! Share pics of other cakes with your fans and tag the page/company in your post. For example:
Cupcations:Stunning ruffle cake by @It's a Cupcake ♥

Add your page's link to your email signature and to your signature here on CakeCentral.
If you see another caker's cake on a third party page. Post on his/her wall and tag the third party page as well for example I posted this on Erica OBrien Cake Design page:
New fan! @Peggy Does Cake shared your cake, indeed spectacular work! ~ @Cupcations

that would make your post also appear on the thirds party's wall (here Peggy Does Cakes)

I launched my page on October 20th and Im almost at 800 fans...
Good luck and make sure to share your page with us I'll be more than happy to help you out icon_biggrin.gif

HTH

Kiddiekakes Posted 30 Jan 2012 , 6:32pm
post #16 of 29

Thanks Everyone!! You have been very helpful....

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 31 Jan 2012 , 1:47am
post #17 of 29

Cupcations, I hope you don't mind, I have a question, too. I just signed into Facebook as my business and Liked your page. Your count did not go up, but you were added to the businesses that my business Likes. I then signed in as myself and Liked your page and the count went up. So how do businesses know that I Like them and then return the favor, if they only see my personal page, not my business?

I find this Facebook thing a big popularity contest. I don't care for buying "Likes" by doing give-aways; I had assumed when I created my page that when I respond to email questions that folks would be courteous and Like my page since I have LIKE US on Facebook attached to my email signature and on all my blog posts. But it's been almost a year and I have not reached 200. Uh, oh, now I'm venting...

Cupcations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cupcations Posted 31 Jan 2012 , 2:35am
post #18 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimiFix

Cupcations, I hope you don't mind, I have a question, too. I just signed into Facebook as my business and Liked your page. Your count did not go up, but you were added to the businesses that my business Likes. I then signed in as myself and Liked your page and the count went up. So how do businesses know that I Like them and then return the favor, if they only see my personal page, not my business?

I find this Facebook thing a big popularity contest. I don't care for buying "Likes" by doing give-aways; I had assumed when I created my page that when I respond to email questions that folks would be courteous and Like my page since I have LIKE US on Facebook attached to my email signature and on all my blog posts. But it's been almost a year and I have not reached 200. Uh, oh, now I'm venting...

Don't mind at all icon_smile.gif
What you mentioned is right the count goes up only if people "like" not pages, I personally think its dumb but I guess that they way they set it. I would of had at least a hundred extra likes if the pages count!
A lot of my fans like my page with their personal FB account then leave a comment and tag their business names in their post, while others like my page with their business page and their names remain hidden.
I personally don't like to mix my business with my personal account so all my likes are done by my page.
How many "likes"/ followers you get is really tricky. You have to try to advertise, tagging is one helpful tool IMO.
I've had my blog for a year now lol and only have 50 followers! Although as you said I have it attached to my email signature, FB and here on CC. icon_rolleyes.gif

Good luck thumbs_up.gif

enchantedcreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enchantedcreations Posted 31 Jan 2012 , 6:30pm
post #19 of 29

Mimifix......I just "liked" your facebook..... thumbs_up.gif

MimiFix Posted 31 Jan 2012 , 9:12pm
post #20 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by enchantedcreations

Mimifix......I just "liked" your facebook..... thumbs_up.gif

Thank you!! thumbs_up.gif

MimiFix Posted 31 Jan 2012 , 9:14pm
post #21 of 29

I got so excited I forgot to ask: May I return the favor?

jason_kraft Posted 31 Jan 2012 , 9:18pm
post #22 of 29
Quote:

I find this Facebook thing a big popularity contest.

I agree...with a low-marginal-cost business that ships nationwide or deals in something easily reproducible like digital media they might be more valuable, but for bakeries "likes" are generally not worth much unless they come from potential customers within your service area. Targeted local ads on FB, Yelp, or Google generally do a much better job of building up a local customer base.

MimiFix Posted 31 Jan 2012 , 9:49pm
post #23 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft

Quote:

I agree...with a low-marginal-cost business that ships nationwide or deals in something easily reproducible like digital media they might be more valuable, but for bakeries "likes" are generally not worth much unless they come from potential customers within your service area. Targeted local ads on FB, Yelp, or Google generally do a much better job of building up a local customer base.

I am no longer in the business of selling baked products. My business is now writing (authored two books), teaching, consulting, and writing a blog. A couple of years ago I disabled the comment feature because there were too many upkeep issues. Readers and students still regularly email but I missed having a dialogue so I started the Facebook page. It seems that Liking my page would be a courtesy, and would show support for what I do, especially when I spend much time responding to baking questions and helping new food entrepreneurs. It irritates me that my "value" is sometimes assessed by and compared to Facebook pages that buy votes through give-aways.

enchantedcreations Posted 8 Feb 2012 , 6:41pm
post #24 of 29
Quote:

I got so excited I forgot to ask: May I return the favor?

Yes.......I would appreciate that. I just got my website up and running and have created a link on facebook as well..... www.withthiscake.com

enchantedcreations Posted 8 Feb 2012 , 6:47pm
post #25 of 29
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft

Quote:

I am no longer in the business of selling baked products. My business is now writing (authored two books), teaching, consulting, and writing a blog. A couple of years ago I disabled the comment feature because there were too many upkeep issues. Readers and students still regularly email but I missed having a dialogue so I started the Facebook page. It seems that Liking my page would be a courtesy, and would show support for what I do, especially when I spend much time responding to baking questions and helping new food entrepreneurs. It irritates me that my "value" is sometimes assessed by and compared to Facebook pages that buy votes through give-aways.

Jason, did you ever think that this is fun and people enjoy it? For me, it's part of the whole package. Whether I received any business from it doesn't matter. icon_biggrin.gif

jason_kraft Posted 8 Feb 2012 , 7:05pm
post #26 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by enchantedcreations

Jason, did you ever think that this is fun and people enjoy it? For me, it's part of the whole package. Whether I received any business from it doesn't matter. icon_biggrin.gif

If you find it fun and enjoyable you should absolutely continue to do it. This thread is about attracting customers to your business, and my point was that getting "likes" on your FB page won't really do much for you from that perspective when compared to real advertising.

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 9 Feb 2012 , 12:35am
post #27 of 29

wow, some people really know how to kill a topic icon_rolleyes.gif

LoveMeSomeCake615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 9 Feb 2012 , 6:02am
post #28 of 29
Quote:

It irritates me that my "value" is sometimes assessed by and compared to Facebook pages that buy votes through give-aways.

This is a huge pet peeve of mine. In my area, there are certain businesses that are constantly running contests on their page (which is against FB policy, btw, unless it is through an authorized FB contest app, and can potentially get your page removed) just to boost their numbers. How valuable are "likes" as a business when they are mostly people who have never even tried your product or at least "liked" the page because they enjoy looking at pictures of your work, not because they got free cupcakes out of the deal.

Now, I'm the first to admit that I get a little thrill when I see our numbers go up. But that's because we don't bribe people to "like" us, so I know that when I see a new like, it's because someone has looked at our portfolio and likes what they see, or they have been at an event where our cake was served, and were impressed enough to seek us out on FB. To me, that is far more valuable business-wise.

LoveMeSomeCake615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 9 Feb 2012 , 6:04am
post #29 of 29

And I agree with Jason about Google Ads- we have noticed FAR more business and inquiries as a result of that. We can literally tell when our ad goes live each month. It's like a sudden influx of calls and emails, seemingly out of nowhere!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%