Need Wedding Cake Help Asap Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Decorating By Sweet_Treatz Updated 29 Jan 2012 , 2:01am by Sweet_Treatz

Sweet_Treatz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Treatz Posted 28 Jan 2012 , 2:09pm
post #1 of 10

Hi I am making a 3 tier wedding cake 12,10,8
I stacked the cake last night only to get up this mornig to a leaning cake
i have taken the cake apart but I dont know how to fix the problem please help
Cake is to be delivered today @ 3pm
I am using wooden dowels 9 on each tier

9 replies
Goreti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Goreti Posted 28 Jan 2012 , 2:23pm
post #2 of 10

Were the cakes level? Did you cut the dowels the exact same size?

Sweet_Treatz Posted 28 Jan 2012 , 2:26pm
post #3 of 10

yes everything was level

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 28 Jan 2012 , 2:31pm
post #4 of 10

Sounds like one or more of the dowels shifted. That's the problem with dowels and why I quit using them a decade ago. You can try getting a set of wilton's hidden pillars and cutting them as needed. Each leg has to be cut exactly the same length.

Then relax and go order SPS.

CalhounsCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CalhounsCakery Posted 28 Jan 2012 , 2:32pm
post #5 of 10

What kind of cake did you use? I had this happen once and it turned out my cake was too soft. I put the whole thing in the fridge to firm up, and it worked perfectly.

Sweet_Treatz Posted 28 Jan 2012 , 2:35pm
post #6 of 10

@ Leah ,okay if i cut all of the pillar the same lenght wouldnt the cake still be leaning

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 28 Jan 2012 , 4:34pm
post #7 of 10

As long as all the dowels (I use wilton's large hollow plastic dowels) are cut to the same height, you won't have any lean. You may have a gap between tiers, if one of your tiers has an uneven top, but you can disguise that with some decorations or a bit of frosting, or a border.

Since you're having structure issues, it's probably best to deliver it in separate tiers and stack it once you get there.

I don't think the fridge suggestion would help here. If it has to be cold to stand up, that's not going to hold for the whole wedding unless they're having the reception in a fridge icon_biggrin.gif

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 28 Jan 2012 , 4:56pm
post #8 of 10

Looking at the size of each tier, i believe you have used too many dowels. I use different things at times. Sometimes. the wilton wooden dowels(never failed me).Sometimes the bubble tea straws. Have used the wilton plastic dowels, Have used the sps system. Like to have lost the cake before when i even used sps sypstem. Not always. I wish you good luck on fixing your cake today.

Anne5348 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Anne5348 Posted 28 Jan 2012 , 5:55pm
post #9 of 10

Im about to marry and I would like to have a funny celebration with friends, I found a web site with really good figures as toppers at www.clayfigurines.com, I saw some figures riding bikes, with pets etc really cool, but do you suggest me fun or serious ones.
Regards

Sweet_Treatz Posted 29 Jan 2012 , 2:01am
post #10 of 10

Well guys thanks for all the advice,
My bottom tier fell apart on the way to the wedding, I was able to salvage the top two tiers, I guess a partial refund is in order, I think i'm just going to stick with sheet cake,wedding cakes are ways too stressful

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%