Make Fondant Pearls Shiny, Not Pearly?

Decorating By graciecakes2003 Updated 1 Feb 2012 , 4:28am by graciecakes2003

graciecakes2003 Posted 28 Jan 2012 , 4:52am
post #1 of 4

Hi all..
I'm making a last minute wedding cake and the bride wants pearl like balls on the sides of the tiers. I don't really have time to order large dragees (the ones I have are too small), so I am making them out of fondant. She wants them to be shiny, but still "bright white"- not "pearly". So I'm not going to use pearl dust. What's the best technique to accomplish this?
Thanks in advance!

3 replies
msthang1224 Posted 29 Jan 2012 , 1:57am
post #2 of 4

Hi,

The only thing that comes to mind right now is to brush or spray the fondant pearl balls with vegetable oil before you put them on yr cake. the shiny will slowly disappear over time but it works.

Another idea would be to use Confectioners Glaze. It smells but after it dries the smell disappears. AND, yr fondant pearl balls will stay shiny forever icon_smile.gif

HTH

sillywabbitz Posted 29 Jan 2012 , 3:07am
post #3 of 4

To get shine on anything I use light corn syrup and vodka and paint it on. You can see the wine bottle cake in my photos.
I would use a 40/60 mix of corn syrup to vodka, you might even try a 30/70. The more vodka, the faster it dries but too much and you might not get the shine you want. At 40/60 it takes about a day or so to dry...depending on your humidity. If they're still tacky when you place them on the cake I think you would get finger prints so either paint them well in advance so they have time to dry or place them on the cake, and paint them there.

graciecakes2003 Posted 1 Feb 2012 , 4:28am
post #4 of 4

Thank you so much! I'm going to give them both a try and see which I like better. Don't know what I'd do without the wisdom of others!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%