Help! I Don't Know What Color Petal Dust To Use?

Decorating By kakicake Updated 28 Jan 2012 , 6:01pm by kakicake

kakicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakicake Posted 27 Jan 2012 , 11:58pm
post #1 of 5

I need your help everyone! I am making my first wedding cake next month. It is for my niece. I am making gumpaste white roses and I don't know what color pedal dust to use for highlighting the centers or around the outside edges. I want them to look as realistic as possible. Also, this is only my second attempt at gumpaste roses, so if anyone has any advice, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks! icon_smile.gif

4 replies
Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 28 Jan 2012 , 3:30am
post #2 of 5

There's several options that would be realistic. When I make flowers I always make a couple of extra petals with the same gumpaste so I can test different dusts on them. Some I'd try on white roses are pale yellow, pale pink, ivory, green, even bronze and go with whatever one was most pleasing.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 28 Jan 2012 , 3:50am
post #3 of 5

You could try to match colors of the flowers in the wedding. That is what i would do.

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 28 Jan 2012 , 9:20am
post #4 of 5

If you google image white roses, in all the pictures it mostly an ivory/yellowish centre. So I would use ivory for the centre and the base of the petals, then white or pearl highlighter for the outer petals. On the outside of the rose I would use a mix of green and ivory by the calyx.

kakicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakicake Posted 28 Jan 2012 , 6:01pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks a lot for all the great advice! This was my first post, and with all the great suggestions, it sure won't be my last. Ya'll are so helpful !!! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%