My Cars Cake

Baking By tracieduran Updated 28 Jan 2012 , 10:15pm by Goreti

tracieduran Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracieduran Posted 27 Jan 2012 , 9:40pm
post #1 of 7

Hi bakers,

I have an issue with a cake that i recently made. It was a two tier cars cake. Two chocolate fudge cakes and the whole cake was edible. the cars were made by me too. The lady I made it for said that she was over charged and that my prices were to high. please can you take a look and let me know what you would have charged. I actually charged £40 and that was cheap. The cake sizes were 8" and 6" many thanks

ps there is a picture in my gallery

6 replies
CreativeCakesbyMichelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CreativeCakesbyMichelle Posted 27 Jan 2012 , 10:28pm
post #2 of 7

You definitely didn't overcharge. According to google that would be about $63 over here and in my area a fondant covered cake without the hand-made figures would be at least $3 per serving so they'd be looking at about $110 without the figures (and prices are low here because I'm in a rural area). Sounds like the lady doesn't realize that custom cakes are not priced like grocery store cakes. Or she's just cheap.

Osgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Osgirl Posted 28 Jan 2012 , 4:48am
post #3 of 7

$40? That is a steal! I couldn't imagine paying less than close to/around $100. It obviously took a lot of time to make the fondant figures and the details on the cake.

Cute cake, BTW!

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 28 Jan 2012 , 9:09am
post #4 of 7

I would have charged £90 for the cake without the figures. I probably would have charged £5 for each figure.

I charge about £2.50 per serving, an 8" and 6" serves 36 so that's where the £90 comes from. If any balks at my pricing, I tell them... a dessert in a restaurant costs £4.50 and that is just a frozen cake warmed up in the microwave and mass produced, not a custom designed cake.

emma_123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emma_123 Posted 28 Jan 2012 , 6:17pm
post #5 of 7

I agree with the others, £40 is incredibly cheap for a two tier cake like that. She should be happy she got such a cheap cake! Some people just want something home-made and hand crafted at Tesco's prices sadly.

tracieduran Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracieduran Posted 28 Jan 2012 , 9:55pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks ladies. I do struggle to set the prices on my cakes is there a guide somewhere on here that I could follow?

Goreti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Goreti Posted 28 Jan 2012 , 10:15pm
post #7 of 7

You have got to be kidding me. The woman obviously has no idea the time & work involved in making a custom cake like this. She should be VERY grateful for the amount you charged her.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%