Newbie Needs Help With Fondant

Decorating By Erikajo Updated 27 Jan 2012 , 7:00pm by Debbye27

Erikajo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erikajo Posted 27 Jan 2012 , 6:21pm
post #1 of 6

Hi all, I tried my hand at making fondant yesterday. I used this recipe http://www.bakingobsession.com/2009/01/17/homemade-fondant/ and it seemed to turn out nicely at that point. I let it "rest" for 24 hours as recommended and pulled it out a little while ago. It was firmer and stickier. I worked a little more powdered sugar in and then tried rolling it out. It was still way too sticky. I looked online and at a few suggestions I gradually added some more powdered sugar. Well now it's still a little sticky and it's breaking apart too.

What can I do? Please help! Thank you!

5 replies
sugaah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugaah Posted 27 Jan 2012 , 6:32pm
post #2 of 6

try to knead in shortning, a bit at a time

Debbye27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debbye27 Posted 27 Jan 2012 , 6:39pm
post #3 of 6

wow that's a complicated fondant recipe....

I'll let the professionals answer your question on how to fix it- but in my non professional opinion- if it's sticky-more powdered sugar......if it's breaking- I add a little shortening....

I wanted to share how I make delicious fondant - it's quick (no resting period) easy....and yummy! If you are still experimenting with fondant- you might find this a lot easier...

1 bag of mini marshmallows
1 bag of sifted powdered sugar...you probably won't use all of it
3 tablespoons water...
flavoring -optional- I don't use any

Put marshmellows in microwavable bowl with 3 tablespoons water. Heat for 30 seconds, stir, heat for 30 seconds more, stir. Add 2 c of sifted powdered sugar, stir.
Put 2 cups of sifted sugar on mat (or counter) and pour the glob of melted marshmallow on top of that, work it in by kneading it for about 10 min. Add more sugar if it's sticky...
By the time the mixture is cooled down, you shoud have kneeded it into a non sticky perfect fondant.
Done! Ready to use!
For chocolate fondant I add 1/2-1 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder.
You can also do all the kneeding in a mixer with a dough hook to save time.

Goreti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Goreti Posted 27 Jan 2012 , 6:44pm
post #4 of 6

That's a 16 oz bag of marshmallows right Debbye27? That looks like the recipe I use. The reason why I asked is because I noticed that some brands now come in 10 oz bags.

Erikajo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erikajo Posted 27 Jan 2012 , 6:51pm
post #5 of 6

Thank you!

I kept reading about how marshmallow fondant has issues and thought I'd try something different. Of course I'd choose a tricky one to start with, haha! Debby, if I can't salvage this batch, I might try yours - thanks for posting!

I guess I will start with some more shortening and go from there. Is it possible to over "knead" fondant? Because mine has seen a lot of action, lol. Oops that kinda sounded bad.

If anyone else can weigh in, I'd be grateful!

The good thing is this is just for a "test" cake so I don't have a lot of pressure. The bad thing is I want to make a nice superbowl cake my for a group of friends next Sunday and I need to get my test cake done nicely so I won't stress out next weekend! lol

Debbye27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debbye27 Posted 27 Jan 2012 , 7:00pm
post #6 of 6

yup- 16 oz bag of marshmellows- and 2lb bag of powdered sugar

and I don't think you can over knead fondant

one extremely helpful tip I have learned though is that if your fondant is getting hard and tough to work with...pop in microwave for 15-20 seconds - works like a miracle!

I'd definitly go with shortening.. I love using shortening with fondant...when I roll it out I roll it out onto a mat greased with shortening....instead of using cornstarch or powdered sugar...works much better for me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%