Is Cake Decorating Detrimental To Your Waist Line?

Lounge By sweetnlow30 Updated 30 Jan 2012 , 1:29pm by sweetnlow30

sweetnlow30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetnlow30 Posted 27 Jan 2012 , 3:29pm
post #1 of 14

I wonder if any of you find it hard to resist sampling your creations and is it difficult to maintain your weight or even lose weight while you have to deal with high calorie treats? The though occurred to me yesterday when I ate a whole bowl of cake scraps with icing after trimming my cake icon_lol.gificon_redface.gif I am actually in the process of losing weight (100 pounds lost last year) and I have a feeling that I would have a harder time if I had to work with sugar as frequently as some of you do. Do you find it hard to resist or do you simply get tired of working with sweets, and find them less tempting over time. I am going to ice my cake today and I really hope I have more will power than I did yesterday especially since there will be a big meal including the cake tomorrow icon_rolleyes.gif

13 replies
Cakery2012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakery2012 Posted 27 Jan 2012 , 5:17pm
post #2 of 14

Yes I have that problem. I tell myself I wont eat any but i do .I also always have to taste frosting to make sure it does not need any more extract or cream cheese. One taste leads to.another.
Best advice eat a high protein meal or snack before baking . If your meal has been 3 hrs or more have the snack non breaded meat , cheese , or nuts . It could be a couple pieces of sliced turkey breast and a piece of cheese. .Or a protein shake . I also like Greek yogurt with nuts a little honey.
I find drinking coffee or tea also helps . Some people chew gum .sonetimes before i frost a cake I.brush.my teeth.

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 27 Jan 2012 , 5:42pm
post #3 of 14

No, Chic-fil-a is. Haha!

I actually find that I want nothing to do with cake. I will eat the batter (I mean really-why bake the cake when you can have BATTER!!!) and some IMBC but that is it. If I'm developing recipes or trying something new then I will test it. But generally I get tired of looking at it and it's just disgusting to me after a certain point LOL .

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 27 Jan 2012 , 6:39pm
post #4 of 14

I would say absolutely. Doing chocolate doesn't help either! But I do think it's important to taste what you are doing if you're providing it to clients.

sweetnlow30 Posted 27 Jan 2012 , 6:48pm
post #5 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieCahill

No, Chic-fil-a is. Haha!

icon_lol.gif We don't have that here in Canada but I love my KFC chicken just the same LOL

BizCoCos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BizCoCos Posted 27 Jan 2012 , 9:02pm
post #6 of 14

Sometimes I'm really good, I actually just taste the recipe and other times I go crazy. I have done cakes for friends and family members and just had a bite even if absolutely delish, other times even if just ok, I'll keep on taste testing Sometimes I'll drag my sister to be the taste tester, but after gaining a few lbs she is refusing!

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 27 Jan 2012 , 9:06pm
post #7 of 14

I don't taste anything unless I'm trying out a new recipe, then barely a taste. I don't want cake anymore, which is really kind of sad. But after making candy for 20 years, I didn't want that either. So I guess I'm really lucky because my weight has stayed the same for the last 10 years (still too high).

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 27 Jan 2012 , 9:18pm
post #8 of 14

Congratulations on your weight loss! You must feel one hundred percent better and I bet you look fabulous!!

Eating too many of these sweets is an occupational hazard. There was a thread not too long ago where posters shared tips for how to not eat so much while in the kitchen. I once gained twenty pounds while developing the best peanut butter cookie ever. (Best ever, ask me how I know.)

My tip: Wear tight pants while you're working. That is a constant reminder to watch what goes into your mouth.

SnLSweetEscapes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SnLSweetEscapes Posted 27 Jan 2012 , 10:12pm
post #9 of 14

Wear tight pants...that is great! Haha! Never thought of that! I can say that I have gained about 20 pounds in a year because I want to try things to make sure that they are good and it is so hard to resist. But I am now trying to get back on track and lose this weight!

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 27 Jan 2012 , 10:36pm
post #10 of 14

I have also gained 20lbs since I opened my bakery. And I got married a month after I opened so that may also be the cause, hahaha. I started a diet on Monday, so it's been 5 days since I had a cupcake or cookie or ANYTHING sugary and fatty. I have withdrawal symptoms, seriously. I could eat cupcakes all day...in fact, I was. And taking unsold cupcakes home on the weekends. Being English brought up in England we had dessert after every meal, so it's like it's in my blood icon_biggrin.gif

Chewing gum is a good idea, but that's actually illegal in food prep areas over here...is it not in the US?

SweetSuzieQ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetSuzieQ Posted 28 Jan 2012 , 4:41pm
post #11 of 14

I actually find the opposite true for me. With all the baking that I now do, by the time I am finished, I want NOTHING to do with eating any of it. HA I'll take a small taste of the sample just to ensure it turned out as expected but, that's about it.

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 28 Jan 2012 , 5:49pm
post #12 of 14

I just tell myself "don't eat the profits.". I toss all cake scraps immediately. I am close to losing 20 lbs. I do, however, taste a little. By a little I mean about 1/4 tsp. To make sure what I baked is okay.

Cakery2012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakery2012 Posted 28 Jan 2012 , 10:15pm
post #13 of 14

I dont know if chewing gum is illegal in U.S. bakeries. My guess is it is .It was just what some others havd mentioned they may have been home bakers.

sweetnlow30 Posted 30 Jan 2012 , 1:29pm
post #14 of 14

I am glad I am not the only one then LOL. I don't have another cake to make until Easter now icon_cry.gif I love decorating but I am not at a point where I can take orders. I plan to make 50 "basket" cupcakes for my children's classes at Easter this year with a grass tip, jelly beans, and licorice handles. I bet my hand will be pretty tired after piping all that grass icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%