Can You Cover Cheesecake With Fondant?

Decorating By mysweets Updated 29 Apr 2015 , 1:39am by islandgirl09

mysweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mysweets Posted 27 Jan 2012 , 12:45pm
post #1 of 13

My nephew's girlfriend wants me to make a red velvet cheesecake for her birthday and sent me a picture of a fondant covered cake design. Can you cover and stack cheesecake with fondant?

12 replies
karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 27 Jan 2012 , 1:46pm
post #2 of 13

Sure!

gbbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gbbaker Posted 27 Jan 2012 , 2:16pm
post #3 of 13

Yes you can, I use a 1/2 inch layer of cake on the bottom of the cheesecake and after it's bake I level it and top it with another 1/2 layer of cake.

mysweets Posted 27 Jan 2012 , 2:41pm
post #4 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbbaker

Yes you can, I use a 1/2 inch layer of cake on the bottom of the cheesecake and after it's bake I level it and top it with another 1/2 layer of cake.

You bake the cheesecake with a layer of cake under it as the crust?

Should I freeze it before covering it with fondant?

gbbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gbbaker Posted 27 Jan 2012 , 3:11pm
post #5 of 13

There is no reason to freeze it. I have the 4 inch side removable bottom pans I fit a cardboard round to the bottom and place the 1/2 inch cake round on top of that and next the cheese cake batter. I bake mine at 325 and test the center with a thermometer ( 160 ish) I usually bake the the left over batter and if the cake cracks I fill them in with the cooked leftover cheesecake. After it's cooled I remove it from the pan and top with the next 1/2 cake round, I then coat the cake with IMBC refrigerate and then cover with fondant. If I stack them, I only do 2 tiers and put the rest together on site . Hope that helps

mysweets Posted 27 Jan 2012 , 3:34pm
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbbaker

There is no reason to freeze it. I have the 4 inch side removable bottom pans I fit a cardboard round to the bottom and place the 1/2 inch cake round on top of that and next the cheese cake batter. I bake mine at 325 and test the center with a thermometer ( 160 ish) I usually bake the the left over batter and if the cake cracks I fill them in with the cooked leftover cheesecake. After it's cooled I remove it from the pan and top with the next 1/2 cake round, I then coat the cake with IMBC refrigerate and then cover with fondant. If I stack them, I only do 2 tiers and put the rest together on site . Hope that helps

It does. Thank you so much!

Any chance I can trouble you for a link to an IMBC recipe? I've only ever tried SMBC.

mysweets Posted 2 Feb 2012 , 9:42pm
post #7 of 13

In case anyone was wondering, it covered and stacked great. I didn't end up leveling the cheesecake but I made sure there was a good layer of buttercream in between the layers of cheesecake and cake. Thank you!
LL

wrosado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wrosado Posted 8 Nov 2012 , 12:58am
post #8 of 13

Awesome will try it. Your cake came out amazing!!!!

ZahraAli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZahraAli Posted 16 Dec 2012 , 4:56am
post #9 of 13

ADear Did u mean the bottom side will be cake and the upper side will be cake and in between will be the layer of cheesecake? Can I but filling in between two layer? What type of buttercream you suggested? Thanks a lot my dear

islandgirl09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
islandgirl09 Posted 28 Apr 2015 , 11:43pm
post #10 of 13

Hi I was wondering if you could please list the steps I'm kinda confused as to the process

thanks

islandgirl09 Posted 28 Apr 2015 , 11:43pm
post #11 of 13

Hi I was wondering if you could please list the steps I'm kinda confused as to the process

thanks

ammcats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ammcats Posted 29 Apr 2015 , 12:09am
post #12 of 13

Hi island girl.  This post is a few years old, but I think I get what she was saying.  First off you make 2 x 2"cakes and cook them.  Then you get a 4" tall removable bottom cake pan - you know the one with the side release?  You place one cake in the bottom, pour on your cheesecake filling and bake slowly till cheesecake is set.  When it's cool, you then place the other cake on top and decorate as desired.  That's how I read it anyways.  Good luck. :)

islandgirl09 Posted 29 Apr 2015 , 1:39am
post #13 of 13

@ ammcats thanks for the explaining it I get it now will have to give it a try

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%