Ganache Dam? Don't Really Want To Use Buttercream....

Decorating By KateLS Updated 28 Jun 2013 , 3:01pm by AlicesMadBatter

KateLS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KateLS Posted 27 Jan 2012 , 1:47am
post #1 of 6

I'm making a cake for my sister. It'll have Raspberry Mouse filling and ganache on the outside, covered with fondant.

I usually do a buttercream dam for my fillings, but I'd rather not have buttercream. Is it possible to do a ganache dam?

If so, how do I do it? Let it cool, pipe it, let it harden, and then fill?

Your thoughts?

Thanks!

5 replies
msthang1224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msthang1224 Posted 27 Jan 2012 , 4:46am
post #2 of 6

Yes, You can use Ganache as a dam BUT it would have to be a whipped ganache in order for it to be used as a dam. I use the whipped ganache recipe on here and it works fine icon_smile.gif Also, you would pipe it just as use stated above.

HTH

KateLS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KateLS Posted 27 Jan 2012 , 4:51am
post #3 of 6

Thanks for the reply. I feel a bit more confident. =)

ladij153 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladij153 Posted 27 Jan 2012 , 5:18am
post #4 of 6

msthang1224...is there a reason it must be whipped ganache? gosh I've been using just cooled slightly stiff ganache without whipping....have I been doing something wrong by doing that? TIA

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 27 Jan 2012 , 8:47am
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by msthang1224

Yes, You can use Ganache as a dam BUT it would have to be a whipped ganache in order for it to be used as a dam. I use the whipped ganache recipe on here and it works fine icon_smile.gif Also, you would pipe it just as use stated above.

HTH

It doesn't have to be whipped. I use ganache which is of a pipeable consistency. Just make your ganache in a 2:1 (3:1 for milk and white) ratio and once it's of a peanut butter consistency pipe your dam. I let it harden for maybe a couple of minutes, then put the filling in.

AlicesMadBatter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlicesMadBatter Posted 28 Jun 2013 , 3:01pm
post #6 of 6

My ganache rested overnight and is now the perfect peanut butter consistency. Is this too soft to use as a dam? Will it stiffen up a bit if I pop it into the fridge once I pipe the dam? I used the 2:1 ratio.  It's perfect spreading consistency for filling and covering the cake with. I am covering in fondant after. Will ithe ganache damn bulge once it warms back up out of the fridge under the weight of the layers and fondant?  HELP!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%