Is All Glitter Edible??

Decorating By shelby10 Updated 27 Jan 2012 , 5:27am by Pyro

shelby10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelby10 Posted 27 Jan 2012 , 12:30am
post #1 of 6

Okay, this might sound crazy to some, but is edible glitter really the same as regular crafting glitter? I have been wondering this for awhile, as I have used edible glitter before and if i am not mistaken it says" nontoxic" on it.. I really like the edible glitters on my cake, but they look the same as some of my scrapbooking glitters which are also "nontoxic". Just wanted to know if anyone wondered the same thing.

Thanks icon_cool.gif

5 replies
Goreti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Goreti Posted 27 Jan 2012 , 12:45am
post #2 of 6

I haven't used glitter on my cakes. From what I have read though, some people use disco dust which is considered non-toxic. However, when purchasing it, it comes with this warning " Please note: created for the Baking Industry, Disco Dust is non-toxic, however considered not edible and for decorative use only".

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 27 Jan 2012 , 12:45am
post #3 of 6

Lots of threads on this. Yes, same product.

And NO, it is not a food product. It is a decoration. It won't kill you or make you sick but it is NOT food. It is plastic. So if you are cool eating plastic on your cake (as lots of people are), go for it.

But personally, I stay away from that stuff. Image

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 27 Jan 2012 , 2:07am
post #4 of 6

Disco dust is definitely cut a lot thinner, and you can test the difference for yourself. Just rub some in between your fingers and you'll see. But as said above, same stuff. I have cut back on using it for stuff. Definitely never directly on anything someone would bite into, but for accent pieces, yeah.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 27 Jan 2012 , 4:49am
post #5 of 6

Some craft glitter is glass. I know it's tempting to use the craft glitters on cakes because they're so much cheaper, but it's not a good idea.

I have used them sometimes on gumpaste pieces which I know will not be eaten, and which I sealed with confectioner's glaze so that the glitter couldn't fall on the cake. I only do that for cakes that I will be serving, to make sure nobody eats the gumpaste pieces (which aren't edible anyhow, since they're attached to wire).

Pyro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pyro Posted 27 Jan 2012 , 5:27am
post #6 of 6

Non-Toxic is just that, it's not going to kill you. But just like isomalt, it might have other issues on you.
People who eat isomalt might have upset stomach, gas and diarrhea. Even in relatively low doses.

It's really all about where do you want to use it and how much of it you plan on using. I would stick to things you don't eat.

No one wants to have a crappy party, pun intended.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%