Looking For A Delicious Homemade Chocolate Cupcake Recipe

Baking By mamakiddx3 Updated 30 Jan 2012 , 3:17pm by mamakiddx3

mamakiddx3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamakiddx3 Posted 26 Jan 2012 , 5:21pm
post #1 of 11

Morning,
Does anyone have a yummy chocolate cupcake recipe? I am trying to find a really good homemade one but I can't seem to find one. Most of the ones that I find a started with a box and then just tweaked a little bit. I really want just an all-homemade one if possible. The ones that I did find that were completely from scratch were either too dry, too moist or they just tasted terrible. Please help! I am trying to find some really good flavors but I am not having any luck with just the standard one.
Thank you so much.
Jennifer

10 replies
Debbye27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debbye27 Posted 26 Jan 2012 , 5:52pm
post #2 of 11

I just posted my recipe for 'delicious moist chocolate cake (eggless). It is amazing- and makes super moist cupcakes as well. Cheap and simple to make- this would work for you.

Debbye27 Posted 26 Jan 2012 , 5:54pm
post #3 of 11

1 1/2 c. flour
1 1/2 c. cake flour
2 c sugar
1/2 c. cocoa powder
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt

2 cups hot water
3/4 cup vegetable oil
2 tbsp distilled white vinegar
1 tbsp instant coffee granules
1 tbsp vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350. Grease 2 8 inch pans.
Sift and whisk together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, and salt in a large mixing bowl.
Combine hot water, oil, vinegar, instant coffee, and vanilla in a large mixing bowl.
Add to the dry ingredients and whisk just until combined. Immediately divide batter between pans, and bake about 30-45 minutes.

This recipe is delicious- doesn't have a coffee taste- moist and incredible every time I bake it- it is my go to recipe for chocolate, as I have never had a problem with it, and it is very cheap and easy to make- no mixer required. It stands up to stacking, fondant, and carving.

Crazyforcupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazyforcupcakes Posted 26 Jan 2012 , 6:34pm
post #4 of 11

The recipe on the back of the Hershey's cocoa can is really good.

mamakiddx3 Posted 27 Jan 2012 , 2:02pm
post #5 of 11

Thanx Debbye27 and Crazyforcupcakes. I will try them both out. Debbye27, if I don't have cake can I just use more regular flour? Also, can I use regular coffee grounds instead of instant? I just don't have any. If you think both of those ingredients are important then I will definitely go and get some. Thanx again to both of you,

Goreti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Goreti Posted 27 Jan 2012 , 2:22pm
post #6 of 11

As far as the cake flour, what you can do is use a mixture of regular flour and cornstarch. For example, for 2 cups of cake flour you would use 1 3/4 c regular flour with 1/4 c cornstarch. As far as the coffee, you really need to use the instant.

Debbye27 Posted 27 Jan 2012 , 3:40pm
post #7 of 11

I didn't know that trick about the cake flour Goreti- it really isn't necessary to use it- in fact the original recipe didn't call for it-but I have done some doctoring to that recipe..... but it will be fine without cake flour....although it never hurts to have cake flour in your pantry icon_smile.gif
As far as the instant coffee yes, goreti is right...the coffee disolves in the hot water before you add to the dry ingredients...since it's only a tablespoon, maybe you can just borrow some? I make this cake all the time so I keep instant on hand-even though I don't drink it.
If you plan on making this cake in the future- then both would be good to have anyway though.....

good luck!

mamakiddx3 Posted 27 Jan 2012 , 3:42pm
post #8 of 11

Thanx for the information, Goreti. If I need to get instant coffee then I will just get some cake flour also. I just was anxious to make these this morning so I didn't want to have to go to the store. The cake flour info is good to know if I am ever in a pinch.
Thanx again

mamakiddx3 Posted 28 Jan 2012 , 5:27pm
post #9 of 11

Debbye27, I got the cake flour and the instant coffee so here we go. I'll let you know how I did. Thanx again for the recipe.

sweettooth101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettooth101 Posted 29 Jan 2012 , 1:39am
post #10 of 11

Martha stewart's recipe is the one I make all the time, but don't overbake 20 mins is good.A hit every time.
http://www.marthastewart.com/275387/classic-cupcakes/@center/276944/cupcakes#/263620

mamakiddx3 Posted 30 Jan 2012 , 3:17pm
post #11 of 11

Thanks Sweettooth101. I will check it out. Okay, Debbye27, I think I did something wrong. I followed your recipe but I got a dense cake. At least I think it is dense. It's kind of heavy and thicker than normal. Is that how it is supposed to be? If it is, then Yeh. I did it right. LOL. If not, do you know why they might have turned out that way? They taste very good. It's just the density.
Thanx a bunch Debbye27.

Jennifer

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%