Beginner Making A Fairly Complicated Cake :)

Decorating By kazzii-x Updated 29 Jan 2012 , 12:52pm by kazzii-x

kazzii-x Posted 25 Jan 2012 , 10:01pm
post #1 of 11

Hi Lovelies,
So as the subject suggests, im going to ''attempt'' to make a birthday cake for my mums 50th on 14th February. I would like to ask a few questions.

This is the cake id like to make:
allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/11468/rainbow-sponge-cake.aspx
Could you please adapt the ingredients to make enough mix for a 8" tin and a 10" tin please.

How long in advance should i make my cake? (Id like to make it, ice it and decorate it)

How long will a sponge cake last?

Would i ice the two tier seperately or would i do it altogether on the board (im using sugerpaste)

Will 250 Grams of icing/fondant cover a 10" and 8" cake (two tier)?

How would i attach flowers/glitter/sugar paste?

Thankyou so much for your help and kind regards Kayleigh icon_smile.gif x

10 replies
kazzii-x Posted 25 Jan 2012 , 10:53pm
post #2 of 11

Can Anyone Help Me icon_cry.gif

mcaulir Posted 25 Jan 2012 , 10:59pm
post #3 of 11

I'll answer the questions I know the answers to!

I would think you would need one of these recipes for a 4"high 8"round tier, and two recipes, possibly three for the 10".

You need to put each tier on a separate board, cover in sugarpaste, then stack using straws or dowels in the bottom tier, inserted after covering in sugarpaste.

If I were you, I'd make the cakes well ahead, wrap in plastic wrap and freeze until the morning of the day you would like to decorate. I would decorate no more than a day ahead. You will need to cover your cakes with buttercream, or ganache before putting the sugarpaste on.

250g of sugarpaste will go nowhere near covering even the 8" round. I would have at least 1.5kg on hand for the whole project, if not more, especially if it's your first time using it.

Cutouts, glitter etc, can be attached by brushing on a small amount of water. Larger, heavier items can be attached using royal icing, or glue made of tylose or CMC powder and water.

Hope this helps!

kazzii-x Posted 25 Jan 2012 , 11:07pm
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcaulir

I'll answer the questions I know the answers to!

I would think you would need one of these recipes for a 4"high 8"round tier, and two recipes, possibly three for the 10".

You need to put each tier on a separate board, cover in sugarpaste, then stack using straws or dowels in the bottom tier, inserted after covering in sugarpaste.

If I were you, I'd make the cakes well ahead, wrap in plastic wrap and freeze until the morning of the day you would like to decorate. I would decorate no more than a day ahead. You will need to cover your cakes with buttercream, or ganache before putting the sugarpaste on.

250g of sugarpaste will go nowhere near covering even the 8" round. I would have at least 1.5kg on hand for the whole project, if not more, especially if it's your first time using it.

Cutouts, glitter etc, can be attached by brushing on a small amount of water. Larger, heavier items can be attached using royal icing, or glue made of tylose or CMC powder and water.

Hope this helps!

Thankyou so much for your help its truly appreciated.

Can i ask a few more questions. How much icing/fondant would you allow for an 8" or 10" because i may just make a one tier instead.

What is the point of the dowels in the bottom tier? iv seen this on a youtube video and dont understand it.

How would i make the glue?

How many days before should i ice the cake?

How many days before should i make sugar paste flowers/decorations (because i know they need drying time)

if i were to freeze the cake, how long would it need to faw out?

can i substitute a cake board for anything else at all?

Thanks so much and kind regards x x

mcaulir Posted 25 Jan 2012 , 11:23pm
post #5 of 11

Can i ask a few more questions. How much icing/fondant would you allow for an 8" or 10" because i may just make a one tier instead.

I would have 750g-1kg on hand for either. It depends how thin you roll it, and thinner is harder at the beginning. Also leftovers trimmed from on tier can be re-used for the other.

What is the point of the dowels in the bottom tier? iv seen this on a youtube video and dont understand it.

The dowels hold up the weight of the top cake, so it doesn't squash the bottom one. A sponge cake is pretty light, but it's best not to take the chance. I always use plain drinking straws. that's probably the easiest for you to use. Just use about 6, insert them straight up and down into the cake, and cut with scissors all the same height.

How would i make the glue?

Buy some CMC or tylose powder, and use a little sprinkle in a little water. Mix and leave for a few minutes to get 'gluey'. Ad more water if it gets dry.

How many days before should i ice the cake?

I would do it the day before.

How many days before should i make sugar paste flowers/decorations (because i know they need drying time)

You can make them days and weeks and months before, if kept dry and out of sunlight. If it's humid where you are, they'll need a few days, otherwise, a day or two should be fine, depending what you're doing. Some flowers (eg. ribbon roses) don't need to be totally dry before you put them on the cake.

if i were to freeze the cake, how long would it need to faw out?

I usually make mud cakes, and they only take a couple of hours, so I would think a sponge would take an hour or two on the benchtop.

can i substitute a cake board for anything else at all?

Cut rounds from a cereal box, or foamcore, or other cardboard, and cover it with something foodsafe. ie plastic wrap, foil, greaseproof paper.

kazzii-x Posted 25 Jan 2012 , 11:28pm
post #6 of 11

You are an absolute star, thankyou so much for your help and time!

1 quick question, how do you get the straws out of the cake easily without distroying it? obviously it will need to be cut up and given out, i dont want anyone finding a straw in there peice of cake icon_biggrin.gif (please forgive me i am a newbie)

Kindest regards Kayleigh x x

HootersAlicia Posted 25 Jan 2012 , 11:50pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazzii-x

1 quick question, how do you get the straws out of the cake easily without distroying it? obviously it will need to be cut up and given out, i dont want anyone finding a straw in there peice of cake icon_biggrin.gif (please forgive me i am a newbie)

Just pull the straws out when you cut the cake. I promise no one will notice or care. Every multiple tier cake in existence has supports in it.

mcaulir Posted 26 Jan 2012 , 3:39am
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by HootersAlicia

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazzii-x

Just pull the straws out when you cut the cake. I promise no one will notice or care. Every multiple tier cake in existence has supports in it.

Yep. If you can manage to cut the pieces so the edges are near the straws, do that, otherwise, just pull them out.

kazzii-x Posted 26 Jan 2012 , 10:18am
post #9 of 11

Thankyou so much icon_biggrin.gif. I really appreciate this. i could not of done it on my own! I also have some lovely cake glitter, do i attach this with the tylose glue too? a small thin layer and then dab the glitter on or should i leave the glue out and just pat it on the icing?
Kindest regards x x

kazzii-x Posted 27 Jan 2012 , 8:32am
post #10 of 11

I also have some lovely cake glitter, do i attach this with the tylose glue too? a small thin layer and then dab the glitter on or should i leave the glue out and just pat it on the icing/fondant?

kazzii-x Posted 29 Jan 2012 , 12:52pm
post #11 of 11

Bumping icon_smile.gif x

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%