I Must Figure This Out! Too Cool!

Decorating By Mrs_O Updated 30 Jan 2012 , 6:44pm by Mrs_O

Mrs_O Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mrs_O Posted 25 Jan 2012 , 9:00pm
post #1 of 20

ok all you guys and gals out there. I found this awesome pic of a tiered cake made out of rice krispies and I must make one of these. It is so cool. Ive been trying using my homemade treats and they are coming out way too white. I will try to post the pic of what I want it to look like and it doesnt look so white. Ive already cut the marshmallow way down and it is almost not enough to stick the cereal together. Thought I would ask for any other ideas of how these get done![/img]
LL

19 replies
Herekittykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Herekittykitty Posted 25 Jan 2012 , 9:16pm
post #2 of 20

No idea how to accomplish this but had to say. A.W.E.S.O.M.E. Oh, and Want.

sweetflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetflowers Posted 25 Jan 2012 , 9:22pm
post #3 of 20

I can only think of three options:

color the marshmallows (with your gel or paste colors) or
use cornsyrup or a cooked sugar syrup like they do with popcorn balls or
buy the packaged sheets, as they look close to this.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 25 Jan 2012 , 9:22pm
post #4 of 20

just use the commercial RKT, pack them into a 4" deep pan and stack em up. You might have to line the pan with parchment to get them out.

sugaah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugaah Posted 25 Jan 2012 , 9:27pm
post #5 of 20

I agree with previous post - seems like a lot of rice treats but that's what makes it WOW

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 25 Jan 2012 , 9:53pm
post #6 of 20

You can also tell that photo has been edited a lot. Their rice krispies may not have been as brown before the photo was edited icon_biggrin.gif

Also, I think it would work to airbrush them.

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 25 Jan 2012 , 10:14pm
post #7 of 20

But question for ya- if it is the commercially made ones or made with corn syrup or whatever, wouldn't the texture be kind of disappointing?
I like my treats ooey and gooey, otherwise they hurt my mouth.
I don't like the ready made treats from the box just for that reason.
This cake is awesome, but I would want to chew my screen more if I could see marshmallow...

WeezyS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WeezyS Posted 25 Jan 2012 , 10:32pm
post #8 of 20

I agree, ready made sheets of RKT would be one way to go.

I worked as a cook in an assisted living home and for teddy bear day I had to make 50 teddy bear cutouts out of RKT. I used the ready made 32 oz. sheets.They were very easy to work with and to me, at least, tasted really good.

You can buy large sheets of ready made RKT.
One place I found that is pretty reasonably priced, is fancyflours.com.
You can also find them on Amazon.

I would look around for the best prices. And I do agree, airbrushing would give you the color you want.
HTH!

mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 25 Jan 2012 , 10:51pm
post #9 of 20

I just made a RKT pyramid with my niece for her school project. We wanted it to look more like dirt, so we added some brown color to the marshmallows when melted and before the cereal goes in. It worked pretty well. HTH

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 26 Jan 2012 , 1:08am
post #10 of 20

Yep, color your marshmallows. I did it for a castle RKT cake. Be prepared to mix really well so the cereal takes on enough color to be uniform.

Tails Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tails Posted 26 Jan 2012 , 11:21am
post #11 of 20

Maybe its a cake with a RKT border around it?

I think the photo was edited to correct colour balance etc icon_razz.gif

Mrs_O Posted 26 Jan 2012 , 4:19pm
post #12 of 20

Thanks all! I am really wanting to do this for a dummy cake for a show so at least I can just use the ready made treats to cover the styrofoam dummy. I cant wait to see what it looks like!

Debbye27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debbye27 Posted 26 Jan 2012 , 4:32pm
post #13 of 20

I think it looks like a border, too- you can do yummy goey treats, then coat the outside with corn syrup or something sticky and cover with rice krispies for the same effect.

soledad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soledad Posted 26 Jan 2012 , 4:34pm
post #14 of 20

Hi everyone!!
When I saw the pic, this is what I though because I have learned a lot from you guys,( think out of the box)
Could it be that the person just put the Rice Krispie cereal on top of the icing that she cover the cake with it??? Its a though icon_wink.gif

CIAO

Rusti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soozicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soozicake Posted 28 Jan 2012 , 1:02pm
post #16 of 20

Not sure if this will help. The carlabuchanan recipe is from the Rice Krispie web site. I have seen a recipe from another Kellogg's site that has caramels melted in with the marshmallows this might help with you color (although may need to add extra color) and 'sticking' problem.

gb89 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gb89 Posted 28 Jan 2012 , 2:13pm
post #17 of 20

You may have to look around a bit, but some stores carry colored marshmallows - yellow, orange, green and pink - they're fruit flavored. The yellow may give you the color you want. Maybe mix some yellow with white to tone down the brightness of the white.

rhondab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rhondab Posted 28 Jan 2012 , 2:45pm
post #18 of 20

I bought store-brand rice crispies last week to use in cheese krispies. I was shocked when I opened the box and saw how white they were - told my hubby that if I had been planning RCTs, I would have to toast the cereal first just to make them look right. So maybe it would help to bake the cereal till it gets a bit browner?

neelycharmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neelycharmed Posted 29 Jan 2012 , 12:01pm
post #19 of 20

always a big hit when people see this at parties, but i've never seen it that big before icon_smile.gif
Jodi

Mrs_O Posted 30 Jan 2012 , 6:44pm
post #20 of 20

Thanks all for the wonderful help! The show was Sunday and I asked the question a little late but I did manage to figure something out. I didnt have time to order the sheets of RKT from food service and I just wasnt liking the look of any of the homemade recipes I tried (although I have sense saved the website posted, thank you). I already had the styrofoam dummy so i knew i just needed to get something to cover the outer part. I found that the pre-packaged RKT from Kellogs were a good look but they were not soft enough to smash together without having huge seams where the treats met. I happened upon large boxes of Little Debbie RKT at walmart and thought i would take a chance. They are a little more yellow in color, but once on the "cake" they looked wonderful. I am extremely happy with the final outcome and to do the dummy, I didnt even need 3 of the boxes of treats for a total cost of around $10. Now when someone orders this I can do the homemade treats on the inside to form into blocks and cover with these treats. The final outcome is in my photos. Thanks again all!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%