Royal Icing Recipe For Stringwork

Decorating By frosteddreamsbakery Updated 26 Jan 2012 , 2:09pm by momg9

frosteddreamsbakery Posted 25 Jan 2012 , 6:06pm
post #1 of 5

Hi everyone! I wanted to know if anyone has experimented with different recipes for royal icing to make the stringwork stronger? I've read by adding extras such as gum-tex, tylose powder, and piping gel, it will make the royal icing stronger and less likely to break. Any advice is greatly appreciated!!!

4 replies
karateka Posted 26 Jan 2012 , 1:59am
post #2 of 5

I'm not familiar with what would make it stronger. I understood the plant gums made it more flexible and less likely to break until it dried. I did hear once about adding an acid like cream of tartar or lemon juice, but I've tried it and haven't noticed a big difference. To be fair, though, I'm no Toba Garret. Hopefully someone with more experience will have something.

sweetflowers Posted 26 Jan 2012 , 3:32am
post #3 of 5

I use Gum arabic. But honestly, it's still stringwork, and it's not going to be sturdy like a tip 16 border. It will be stronger than tip 0 with no gum arabic, but that's about it. There are a lot of factors that make your string strong. I use egg whites, don't over beat a lot of air into it and proper attachment. I've done tip 0 and tip 00 oriental stringwork from 15 years ago and still have it today. It's traveled in the car for hours and still no issue. But you still can't poke a finger in it and expect it to be ok. icon_biggrin.gif

FromScratchSF Posted 26 Jan 2012 , 6:03am
post #4 of 5

I just eyeball it, egg whites, p. sugar and some cream of tartar. No whipping! Mix slowly and if I have the time I prefer to let it sit overnight. What really makes the difference in ease of piping is to strain your icing thru panty hose to get out all the undissolved sugar crystals. Those will break your lines or make your icing curl as it comes out of the tip. When I strain I can get into a grove and bust out lines super fast. No straining and I'm putting on one and taking off three. Grrrr.

So yeah, I have a box of cheap knee highs I got at Target just for straining royal icing.

momg9 Posted 26 Jan 2012 , 2:09pm
post #5 of 5

I always add 1 tsp of light corn syrup to 1 cup of royal icing for stringwork.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%