Lambeth Style Cakes

Decorating By nlcakelady Updated 10 Jul 2013 , 8:28am by bobbylee007

nlcakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nlcakelady Posted 25 Jan 2012 , 4:39pm
post #1 of 7

Hello, I'm trying to find out information on a set of pans I have. I can't seem to find any information on how they are used. I have seem a few (very few) examples of finished work.

Can anyone tell me about the Lambeth Beveled Cakes pans, and how they are used? I thought it was a pizza pan first!
LL

6 replies
AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 25 Jan 2012 , 5:19pm
post #2 of 7

I don't personally do that method but I understand how it works. The pans are beveled for a reason. You bake your cake (I personally would do like a pound cake or some other dense cake-it's usually a fruit cake used) and then cover with fondant. The purpose of the bevels is to give the heavy RI decorations (which are overpiped a zillion times) a place to rest.

Toba Garret uses a lot of Lambeth in her decorating. There is a user on here, I think her name is geffion, who does Lambeth designs.

sugalips Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugalips Posted 28 Jan 2012 , 3:29pm
post #3 of 7

I have the Lambeth Method book and those cakes are really cool!

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 28 Jan 2012 , 5:27pm
post #4 of 7

Those pans are cool! I took a Lambeth class at the Wilton School, and the beveled shape is just what a classic Lambeth cake looks like. They taught us how to measure, then bevel our own, but these pans would make it much simpler and more uniform. icon_smile.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 29 Jan 2012 , 12:31am
post #5 of 7

The problem w/the pans are that part of the cake is very, very thin and will over bake before the rest of the layer is doneicon_sad.gif That's why it's better/easier to bake a regular round cake and cut the bevel yourself.

As for how to decorate the cakes made in them or cut yourself, there are many Lambeth cakes if you google it.
You create the pattern, pipe the design in say tip 18 using a slight zigzag; over pipe that w/tip 18 straight; then over pipe that w/tip 16, 14, 4,3,2,1. Yes, you are piping the exact same pattern one on top of the other decreasing the size of the tip as you build up the design.
I have done some in b'cream look in my photos.

crzchef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crzchef Posted 24 Feb 2012 , 4:17am
post #6 of 7

The Cake pans are used as a 2 part cake part 1 is one of those pans part 2 is a cake lyer of the same size on top The Lambeth Method style of decorating is very intense, Kathleen Lange owner of Confectionary Chalet teaches this method Sorry to say this but Wilton has nothing on this Woman her style is Authentic . Check out her website her cakes are unbelaviable I have seen her cakes in person. GORGEOUS. Hold on to those pans they are vey valuable. I love those pans I do how ever agree that the cake is very thin but I mold rice cereal treats ( RCT) in them and use that as my cake layer which make a very study base

http://confectionarychalet.com/

bobbylee007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobbylee007 Posted 10 Jul 2013 , 8:28am
post #7 of 7

I am a soldier returning from Afghanistan.   While deployed I searched HIGH & LOW for the "Lambeth Style Cake Pans" but could now find any on line. . . .  I would like to know if anyone knows the actual measurements to the "Lambeth Style Cake Pans".  Has anyone on here actually used them ?    I have the technique down pretty well, just would like to ensure the actual sizes of the initial cake pans to produce a finished product as close to the original product as possible.

Thanks,

Robert_Lee

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%