Fondant Wedding Dress For Bridal Shower Sheet Cake

Decorating By Mandygc Updated 3 Feb 2012 , 2:01pm by Mandygc

Mandygc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mandygc Posted 25 Jan 2012 , 4:04pm
post #1 of 6

Can anyone direct me to a tutorial for making a wedding dress out of fondant?I have to make one for a bridal shower. This will be a flat wedding dress on a sheet cake. I searched in forums and tutorials for something like that and didnt get anything. I have an idea of what to do by looking at all the pretty pictures of them on here, but I would love to read through a tutorial or an article or something to give me step by step instructions or at least telling me things to NOT do icon_smile.gif so I can save some time. Any advice would be much appreciated!

5 replies
LeeBD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeeBD Posted 25 Jan 2012 , 11:07pm
post #2 of 6

I have made several "wedding dress" cakes and never used a tutorial. They really are pretty simple.
For my first one I just looked at several pictures of other cakes and took ideas from them and then I made my own template. The last two I made, the brides asked me to make the dresses look like theirs. I had to look at pictures of their dresses and figure it out. It does help to have a 50/50 combo of fondant and gumpaste because I find the fondant stretches too much.

Alfiesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alfiesmom Posted 28 Jan 2012 , 1:02pm
post #3 of 6

Yes, I did mine freehand and it was easy. I added some piping to it once it was on the cake, and did not adhere it to the whole cake to simulate the flow & ruffle (if you know what I mean.). Practice on paper and make a template if you're uneasy cutting your dress fondant. or search images on Bing for dress sillouettes. good luck

jamawoops Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamawoops Posted 28 Jan 2012 , 2:02pm
post #4 of 6

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1144573/wedding-dress-cake

You could do one like this. Don't know if the link will work, but if not look for Wedding Dress Cake by Divaricks. It's really cute. It doesn't look hard to do, but I'm sure she'd help if you have any questions. GL!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 28 Jan 2012 , 4:47pm
post #5 of 6

This isn't a wedding dress, it's a fondant baby dress I did but the principle is the same. Very easy to do: http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1771660/fondant-baby-dress

Mandygc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mandygc Posted 3 Feb 2012 , 2:01pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks so much everyone! I was much more nervous about it than I should have been. It wasnt as hard as I was afraid it would be. I will try to attach a picture of what I came up with!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%