A Silly Question...

Decorating By CiNoRi Updated 25 Jan 2012 , 7:25pm by CiNoRi

CiNoRi Posted 25 Jan 2012 , 3:56pm
post #1 of 6

This is silly thing to bring up but it's 1 of those words of wisdom that I never really asked why... when I first started I just ran with it. I was always told to use crusting buttercream under fondant ( versus non crusting buttercream) , do I really have to? Why or why not? What would be your opinion?

5 replies
QTCakes1 Posted 25 Jan 2012 , 4:27pm
post #2 of 6

I have never heard that before, but I will say this, I use exclusively SMBC. And that stuff will NEVER crust. When you get it perfectly smooth, you get perfectly smooth fondant.

FullHouse Posted 25 Jan 2012 , 4:48pm
post #3 of 6

I've used SMBC, whipped buttercream and crusting buttercream under my fondant. No issues with any of them.

cattycornercakes Posted 25 Jan 2012 , 4:48pm
post #4 of 6

I've never heard of that either. I'm not sure what the advantage would be to have crusting buttercream under the fondant.

Dayti Posted 25 Jan 2012 , 6:39pm
post #5 of 6

I now use ganache under fondant but in the past I used a crusting buttercream just cos that's my recipe. I always had to spritz it with water anyway to get the fondant to stick, so I can't see why anyone would say you MUST use a crusting recipe!

CiNoRi Posted 25 Jan 2012 , 7:25pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks guys... i figured as much... I just have had a good Crusting BC that I have used from the beginning... but have been re working it for non-crusting for my cupcakes. ...Figured why waste time make 2 recipes.... Thanks for confirming!

Quote by @%username% on %date%