How Can I Be Nice? ;-)

Business By CiNoRi Updated 25 Jan 2012 , 4:09pm by QTCakes1

CiNoRi Posted 25 Jan 2012 , 2:42pm
post #1 of 6

I have someone who has emailed me a couple of times about a particular cake on my site... asking how much, details on ordering etc. After a couple of emails back and forth they now tell me that they are located too far away fora delivery and they want to know how I created the cake!

Tisk Tisk tisk.... I don't mind helping someone learn... but when you go through my business, ask about cost etc.... and then ask about how to make it....that's where I draw the line.

Any suggestions on NICE way to reply? icon_wink.gif

5 replies
cakegrandma Posted 25 Jan 2012 , 2:55pm
post #2 of 6

I think I would email this;
"Thank you for your inquiry but, I have to respectfully decline this information. This is one of the secrets of your business, as your recipes are, and really do not feel comfortable divulging them"

I hope this may give give you some ideas of how to reply to this person.

evelyn

FullHouse Posted 25 Jan 2012 , 2:58pm
post #3 of 6

Tell them that there is more to it than can be described in a quick email, but you would be happy to give lessons at their location for $xx per hour plus $1.50 per mile. Figure out what rate would be worth it to you to offer lessons and if they aren't interested, then say something like "If lessons are not a good option for you, you can find lots of great information on YouTube."

step0nmi Posted 25 Jan 2012 , 3:12pm
post #4 of 6

you don't have to answer nicely to them...it's all about business and business doesn't have to have feelings behind it. Just nicely say "i'm sorry you are too far away and cannot work out our order. Please know that our recipes and cake information are not something we share to customers. Thank you for your inquiry."

there icon_wink.gif

sugaah Posted 25 Jan 2012 , 3:25pm
post #5 of 6

I agree "You don't have to be nice" just be professional.

QTCakes1 Posted 25 Jan 2012 , 4:09pm
post #6 of 6

I think that was their plan from the get go and I wouldn't bother responding.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%