Looking For Unusual Ideas??

Decorating By elaine0034 Updated 27 Jan 2012 , 7:06pm by JGMB

elaine0034 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elaine0034 Posted 25 Jan 2012 , 12:20pm
post #1 of 14

Hi I am looking for some new things to make. So far I have ice cream cone cupcakes, rainbow cakes and cake pops (they are practically unheard of where I live in the uk). Any other suggestions? Thanks

13 replies
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 25 Jan 2012 , 5:13pm
post #2 of 14

How about cheesecakes, cookie and/or cupcake bouquets and decorated pies? I also make up a lot of "things on sticks" (we call them banderillas in Mexico, but I'm blanking out on the word in English right now). To make them, I take a long skewer and alternate jelly-type candies (gumdrops and the like), funky marshmallows and cake bites/balls from the very top to about 3" from the bottom. I then put them in long, transparent cellophane bags and tie them at the bottom with curly ribbon. These are always a big hit as favors for children's parties, but adults like them, as well, I'm coming to find.

Herekittykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Herekittykitty Posted 25 Jan 2012 , 9:26pm
post #3 of 14

Marianna: Well, it's not an English word but we call them Kebobs.

How about chocolate covered homemade marshmallows? Yum! And you could make them in a variety of flavors.

Marianna46 Posted 26 Jan 2012 , 2:53am
post #4 of 14

Oh, yum! Can I borrow that idea?

Herekittykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Herekittykitty Posted 26 Jan 2012 , 5:53pm
post #5 of 14

It's yours. Let me know if you need a recipe. icon_smile.gif

JJoni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JJoni Posted 26 Jan 2012 , 6:29pm
post #6 of 14

You can try making floral cookie bouquets. It's a new thing where you can transform floral-shaped cookies into bouquets that appear like actual floral bouquets. I've given them to people and at first glance, think they have been given a real flower bouquet. If you wish, you can find more information at http://www.floralcookiebouquets.com/[/url]

Marianna46 Posted 27 Jan 2012 , 1:23am
post #7 of 14

Those are really lovely, JJJoni, and quite different from other cookie bouquets. I really like them!

Thanks, Herekittykitty, I actually have a good homemade marshmallow recipe, plus another one for avocado marshmallows that I got, I think either from Martha Stewart or the Better Homes and Gardens site.

Oreobo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Oreobo Posted 27 Jan 2012 , 3:42am
post #8 of 14

Chocolate covered mini oreos. We tried them at a Godiva chocolate store and they were soooo good! I made them for my husband's birthday and they were a hit.

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 27 Jan 2012 , 4:04am
post #9 of 14

Mini pie on a stick. I have been trying to make this work but can't seem to get the filling right, it bubbles out of the air vent. So if you can get this to work, you are awesome and need to give me your recipe.

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 27 Jan 2012 , 10:56am
post #10 of 14

I'm in love with making macaroons at the moment, maybe you could give that a try?

Jennifer353 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer353 Posted 27 Jan 2012 , 11:23am
post #11 of 14

Confetti cake? I know its really common in US but I have never seen it in the UK (Tesco and probably most places, sell the sugar disc sprinkles)

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 27 Jan 2012 , 12:53pm
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratchSF

Mini pie on a stick. I have been trying to make this work but can't seem to get the filling right, it bubbles out of the air vent. So if you can get this to work, you are awesome and need to give me your recipe.

Oh, no!!! I'm planning to make these for the first time today to take to a gathering tonight. I wasn't anticipating any problems, because the website I saw them on made it look so easy. Wish me luck!!!

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 27 Jan 2012 , 6:53pm
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMB

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratchSF

Oh, no!!! I'm planning to make these for the first time today to take to a gathering tonight. I wasn't anticipating any problems, because the website I saw them on made it look so easy. Wish me luck!!!

What website? Please share, because the 3 times I've tried to make these they just won't cut it to sell. My finished product looked too messy and unrefined.

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%