Baking Disaster!!! What'd I Do???

Decorating By annakat444 Updated 27 Jan 2012 , 11:13pm by Goreti

annakat444 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annakat444 Posted 25 Jan 2012 , 6:09am
post #1 of 5

Hi everyone! Tonight has been a baking NIGHTMARE! I'm very new to baking (this is my 5th cake) so I'm still learning basics and every cake I learn something new. I'm doing a birthday cake for tomorrow and it's been a disaster when the previous cakes I've done I've never had these problems! Here's what happened:

1. I decided to start making cakes from scratch (previous cakes were from a box). Tested a recipe last night and made cupcakes - came out perfect. Baked the cake tonight and it did not rise. I know for a FACT i put the correct amount of baking powder in, I distinctly remember measuring it out and putting it in. What causes cakes to not rise if you included the baking powder in the correct measurement? I did notice it was old (expired in 2008! OOPS!)...could that have done it?

2. Got in a panic and used boxed cake mix when I started over because it was getting late. Cake would not come out of the pan after 10 min. I finally got it out and it was very crumbly and one section of a layer stuck to the pan. I used Betty Crocker's French Vanilla. Did I over mix? I didn't think I did, but I guess it's possible.

Lesson learned: Never bake when you're in a hurry! I've NEVER had these problems before! Ugh!!! Anyway I would really appreciate any advice so I can avoid these mistakes again. Thank you!!

4 replies
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 25 Jan 2012 , 7:04am
post #2 of 5

I don't know about the boxed mix, but baking powder gets old and loses its fizzle. Strange that it happened from one day to the next, but it might have absorbed some humidity after not being opened in a while. I generally buy my baking powder in the smallest size possible and replace it every few months. Better luck (WAY better luck) next time!

annakat444 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annakat444 Posted 25 Jan 2012 , 7:11am
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianna46

I don't know about the boxed mix, but baking powder gets old and loses its fizzle. Strange that it happened from one day to the next, but it might have absorbed some humidity after not being opened in a while. I generally buy my baking powder in the smallest size possible and replace it every few months. Better luck (WAY better luck) next time!

Thanks for the help, great idea about buying a small sized baking powder!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 27 Jan 2012 , 10:50pm
post #4 of 5

Re the box mix: sounds like there are two problems here.
One: you didn't grease the pan properly
Two: it was over baked.
There will always be 'bad'! baking days. You didn't hold your tongue in the right position while mixing that batter!! LOL
Sometimes it could be the mix is old but from my 30+ yrs experience that seldom is the problem.

Goreti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Goreti Posted 27 Jan 2012 , 11:13pm
post #5 of 5

Some days are just like that. I have learned over the years that baking at night when I'm tired is not a good idea. The other day, I realized I forgot to put in about 1/2 c of the flour because I was sifting it and it didn't all fit so I put it aside. Of course, forgot all about it and didn't notice till cake was in the oven. Luckily cake came out ok.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%