Construction Of A Cake...drills/dowels/planks/oh My!

Decorating By dukeswalker Updated 29 Jan 2012 , 1:30pm by karateka

dukeswalker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dukeswalker Posted 25 Jan 2012 , 4:48am
post #1 of 2

I am making a beer mug cake out of 4 6in rounds and plan on having a beer bottle suspended over the mug "pouring" beer into it. I want it to be sturdy and after playing around with a design & options, I like the idea of using a plank of wood with a wooden dowel imbedded in the center of the plank. Here is where I start having a hard time envisioning things....

Do I drill the hole & insert the dowel in the plank 1st and then cover it with fondant and then cut a hole in the 2 cardboard cake rounds & cake and then slide it down the dowel?

Do I cover the plank with fondant 1st, then drill the hole, then place the cake on the plank with a hole cut down the center of the cakes/cakeboards and then push the dowel through that and into the hole in the plank?

Do I cover the plank with fondant 1st, drill the hole and then place the dowel in the hole. Then...then what?

I just cant visualize this....it will be my 1st time using major construction type support.

thanks everyone!

1 reply
karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 29 Jan 2012 , 1:30pm
post #2 of 2

Do I drill the hole & insert the dowel in the plank 1st and then cover it with fondant and then cut a hole in the 2 cardboard cake rounds & cake and then slide it down the dowel?

This is how I'd do it. That's just me...someone else may have experience with a better way.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%