Help With Cake Testing!

Decorating By kayfromstl08 Updated 25 Jan 2012 , 5:24pm by Marianna46

kayfromstl08 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kayfromstl08 Posted 24 Jan 2012 , 10:13pm
post #1 of 2

ok, all the cakes iv done have been with friends,so nothing formal. i have a guy who wants me to make his wedding cake, i researched on here how to go about the interview "process". contracts, asking the vender, going over prices, flovors, pictures and deposits... what do i do next? as far as setting up the cake testing and everything else??

1 reply
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 25 Jan 2012 , 5:24pm
post #2 of 2

Obviously you're not established as a business yet, so my suggestion would be to stop trying so hard to look like one (although, of course, you might want to get serious about this later!) and just get together with the couple and talk about possible flavors and designs. Take copious notes and then set up a tasting if you need to (I usually offer cupcakes in a few flavors and two or three fillings/frostings separately so they can mix and match. When you finally go to make the cake, I'd say two things are important: 1) put their order in writing in as much detail as you can (date, design, flavors, colors, cost and anything else you can thing of) and have them sign at the bottom that they agree to everything and 2) get the money up front and well in advance. I hope this works out well for you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%