Never Done This Before...how To Stack Sphere

Decorating By Rachie204 Updated 17 Feb 2012 , 9:52pm by jgifford

Rachie204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachie204 Posted 24 Jan 2012 , 9:14pm
post #1 of 10

I have a bride who would like her cake to be very different. It will be themed from video games. The bottom tier she has chosen this chocolate cake
http://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=116797

no biggie.

The top tier will be this cube

http://technabob.com/blog/2008/03/17/weighted-companion-cube-cake-is-not-a-lie/

and I got that no problem. The issue at hand is she would like this for the middle tier, and I am not sure the best way to make a cake with a completely round sphere for the middle tier.

http://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/video-games/Portal/Curiosity-Sphere/

( I think we will just be doing the round part, not the brown handle looking parts) I am considering using cereal treats or Styrofoam for that tier, but I am just not sure yet. Anyone have any suggestions?

9 replies
KateLS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KateLS Posted 24 Jan 2012 , 10:07pm
post #2 of 10

HaHa. My husband plays that game sometimes.

But I don't know if you'd want to go through the trouble, but you could make a special cake structure for it so the inside is durable and has a strong upper plate that floats.

So you could do the sphere in cake, but make sure it's just the right size to meet up with the bottom of the top tier.

Does that make sense?

A lot of people make them out of wood and then cover them with food safe stuff.

Rachie204 Posted 24 Jan 2012 , 10:16pm
post #3 of 10

i wouldn't even begin to know how to do that....thank GOD for my handy husband thanks for the input

KateLS Posted 24 Jan 2012 , 10:20pm
post #4 of 10

You're welcome. =)

And a total side note, and I'm probably wrong, but did you, by chance go to Sprayberry High School?

sweetnlow30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetnlow30 Posted 24 Jan 2012 , 10:22pm
post #5 of 10

I don't have any advice on how to make the cake but I think it is so funny that someone wants a Portal 2 themed cake and I just happened to look at the thread, since I just beat the game about ten minutes ago LOL. It is the only xbox game that both my children and I enjoy due to the complex strategies involved. It is great fun. It will certainly be an interesting cake!

Rachie204 Posted 24 Jan 2012 , 10:37pm
post #6 of 10

Kate- LOL nope, I attended several high schools in Ga but that wasn't one of them icon_smile.gif

Sweetnlow-I have absolutely no clue about video games, other than the face that the X-Box kinect is great fun LOL

KateLS Posted 17 Feb 2012 , 8:15pm
post #7 of 10

I don't know if you've made the cake yet, but I came across this cake today and it made me think of what you're kind of up against.

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2269458/wedding-cake

Hope it goes great for you!

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 17 Feb 2012 , 8:52pm
post #8 of 10

Stacking a sphere is no more difficult than stacking any other cake. The weight of the sphere will keep it on its board (which you'll probably have to trim down from a 6 inch circle) so there's no need to trim the bottom and then your support system will take care of the top tier. The only problem would be the size. The Wilton ball pan is only 6 inches in diameter so it's not a very large cake and I haven't seen any other ball pans. I've seen pudding pans (I have no idea what they're called) in the UK, but I don't know what size they are.

Rachie204 Posted 17 Feb 2012 , 9:46pm
post #9 of 10

jgifford- Won't the sides of the sphere give since there is no support under them? It seems like there would be too much weight on the bottom middle and not enough support under the bottom sides. Does that make sense?

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 17 Feb 2012 , 9:52pm
post #10 of 10

I guess it's the nature of the shape. I first made this cake for my ds's 2nd birthday - also used it for his high school graduation. As long as it's level and you put the two parts together as top and bottom (not as two sides - - ask me how I know), it will hold up just fine. Your support system will put the weight from the top tier on the cake board, so there will only be the weight of the sphere itself. Hope that makes sense.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%