Rice Krispy Treats Or Cake?

Decorating By Lizmybit Updated 27 Jan 2012 , 8:45pm by Lizmybit

Lizmybit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lizmybit Posted 24 Jan 2012 , 8:53pm
post #1 of 6

Hi there!

A friend has asked me to make a cake for her 3 year old for his Birthday. He wants Lightening McQueen and Mater from cars. Everytime I've made sculpted pieces in the past I've used fondant and or gumpaste or just carved cake. I am thinking about using RKT this time. Having never worked with it i'm not sure what to expect. Do you find it easier to work with than carving cake? Do you cover it with Buttercream before covering in fondant? It seem's more cost efficient than using cake.

And advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

5 replies
msthang1224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msthang1224 Posted 25 Jan 2012 , 2:59am
post #2 of 6

Hi

I LOVE working with RKTs bc it really holds its shape. I also use 50/50 micture of fondant/gumpaste for different projects. I don't usually put BC over my RKTs to get it smooth because, I work my rkts until they are smooth enough not to show thru my fondant. Moastly all of my figures are done in rkts in my photos.

HTH

sweetnams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetnams Posted 25 Jan 2012 , 3:05am
post #3 of 6

Both times I did the Lightning McQueen I used carved cake. The first time didn't turn out great but the second time I baked it in a Car shaped pan and then carved it to look like Lightning Mcqueen. RKT is far more easier to work with though. I measure the rice cereal and then pulse it, which makes for a smooth piece, whatever I mold or shape it into. Also it helps keep the surface smooth so when I cover it with fondant there are no bumps.

If the little boy would be happy with RKT then go for it, freeze the molded car or block and then carve with a sharp knife to look like Mcqueen. Cover with melted chocolate or buttercream before covering in Fondant.

Good luck!

Lizmybit Posted 25 Jan 2012 , 2:58pm
post #4 of 6

Thank you gals! Sweetnams, what do you mean by pulse it?

sweetnams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetnams Posted 27 Jan 2012 , 3:44am
post #5 of 6

I pulse the rice krispies for a couple of seconds in a food processor or blender. I do this after measuring the qty of rice krispies I need. This yields a much denser RKT and a much smoother finish once molded. But one thing to remember when you pulse is you will need more rice krispies than you would normally use to fill a particular mold. The pulsed krispies obviously take up less space than the whole krispies. I just made a batch yday for Rapunzel's tower from the movie Tangled. Will post pics once I'm done.

Lizmybit Posted 27 Jan 2012 , 8:45pm
post #6 of 6

That's what I thought you meant. Just wanted to clarify.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%