What Is This Made From

Decorating By shawnalynn3 Updated 25 Jan 2012 , 4:57am by kakeladi

shawnalynn3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shawnalynn3 Posted 24 Jan 2012 , 5:27pm
post #1 of 15

Can anyone help me figure out what the nest is made of in this pic? Thanks! icon_smile.gif
LL

14 replies
AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 24 Jan 2012 , 5:38pm
post #2 of 15

The icing you mean? I would say fondant.

shawnalynn3 Posted 24 Jan 2012 , 5:44pm
post #3 of 15

no I mean just the green nest part of the cake

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 24 Jan 2012 , 5:55pm
post #4 of 15

Yes, I agree it is thin stripes of fondant twisted/woven together.

sweetflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetflowers Posted 24 Jan 2012 , 5:56pm
post #5 of 15

That looks like the edible Easter grass they sell at Easter time. I've seen it in all the drug stores (and Target) with the regular Easter grass. I would guess it's actually wafer (rice) paper. I would guess you could get the same effect by coloring fondant and cutting it into thin strips. Then setting on a mold to dry.

shawnalynn3 Posted 24 Jan 2012 , 6:06pm
post #6 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetflowers

That looks like the edible Easter grass they sell at Easter time. I've seen it in all the drug stores (and Target) with the regular Easter grass. I would guess it's actually wafer (rice) paper. I would guess you could get the same effect by coloring fondant and cutting it into thin strips. Then setting on a mold to dry.

thank you, it looks like it is the easter grass. lol i didnt know they even made it. icon_smile.gif

LaWmn223 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaWmn223 Posted 24 Jan 2012 , 6:15pm
post #7 of 15

I got some just like that at Easter last year at Target. I got it in green, blue and pink...If I remember it is made from potatoe starch....

Bettycrockermommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bettycrockermommy Posted 24 Jan 2012 , 6:40pm
post #8 of 15

I would say that it is fondant, put through an extruder and then put inside a bowl to dry. That's how I would do it anyway.

Herekittykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Herekittykitty Posted 24 Jan 2012 , 7:42pm
post #9 of 15

I second the edible easter grass.

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shawnalynn3 Posted 24 Jan 2012 , 9:30pm
post #11 of 15

Okay I have another question about this cake. For the owl, to make one that large (about 7-8") What would I use? Would I use just a big hunk of fondant or would I cover something with the fondant and if so what would I cover? Ive made tons of fondant animals etc just not one more than 4" or so. thanks again!!!

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 24 Jan 2012 , 10:26pm
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnalynn3

Okay I have another question about this cake. For the owl, to make one that large (about 7-8") What would I use? Would I use just a big hunk of fondant or would I cover something with the fondant and if so what would I cover? Ive made tons of fondant animals etc just not one more than 4" or so. thanks again!!!

i'd use a rice cereal treat shape as the head, then cover that with buttercream to smooth it, then cover in fondant.

MarianInFL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MarianInFL Posted 24 Jan 2012 , 10:54pm
post #13 of 15

Edible Easter grass! What will they think of next. I'm going to have to stock pile some when it comes out again.

It's amazing the things I learn on Cake Central!

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 24 Jan 2012 , 11:05pm
post #14 of 15

If you can't find the edible grass and dont want to use fondant, green gum ( like Wrigley) cut into tiny strips might work too.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 25 Jan 2012 , 4:57am
post #15 of 15

I guess I'm very behind the times as I didn't know about the edible grass = but then, now that I consider that I guess I had seen some but totally forgot about it.
And the idea of using gum is a good one also icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%