Should I Use Wilton Color Mist?

Decorating By sweetnlow30 Updated 28 Jan 2012 , 12:45am by dandymom

sweetnlow30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetnlow30 Posted 24 Jan 2012 , 4:12pm
post #1 of 7

I bought some blue color mist to highlight the water on the cake I am making, since I don't own an airbrush set yet. I figured it would be nice to have areas of light and dark for contrast. I tried a small sample on a plate and this stuff smelled badly of ethanol. Now I am worried that it will make my cake taste bad. Does anyone here use it and will it leave a taste? Do you have any suggestions of how I can make the water look more realistic. I just want to use butter cream, not piping gel since I don't care for the texture of it. I plan to use a light cornflower blue butter cream to make ripples on the water then I was going to use the mist to add highlights. It is a larger cake (about 26" X 18") and approximately half with be water so it needs to look realistic. I would love to hear your tips icon_smile.gif

6 replies
jamawoops Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamawoops Posted 24 Jan 2012 , 4:22pm
post #2 of 7

I've used the color mists a couple of times and although I can taste it for the most part no one else can. I did use a lot of it once on a tie dye cake and people could taste it then, but I really used a lot! They scraped off the very top of the bc but then ate the rest. If you're not going to saturate the waves then you'll be fine.

sweetnlow30 Posted 24 Jan 2012 , 10:01pm
post #3 of 7

Thanks icon_smile.gif I may give it a shot. I should put a blob if icing on a plate and spray it then get my husband and children to try it. When I sampled it, it tasted funny but maybe that is because I was still thinking of the smell. It does smell pretty awful when it is being sprayed!

jamawoops Posted 25 Jan 2012 , 3:17pm
post #4 of 7

Yes it does! That's a great idea though. Let it dry completely before you have them taste it and see what they say. I use my husband as a guinea pig all the time lol!

sweetnlow30 Posted 25 Jan 2012 , 3:22pm
post #5 of 7

LOL, I did the taste test last night and my husband and daughter said it tasted fine but my son said he didn't like it and he is the one with the sweet tooth. He even refused to finish off the bit of icing on the plate icon_surprised.gif I also noticed bitter undertones but I am very sensitive to bitter tastes. I think I may use just a very light amount in a few spots for a highlight icon_wink.gif

jamawoops Posted 25 Jan 2012 , 3:26pm
post #6 of 7

Sounds good! Post a pic when your done, I'd love to see how it turns out! Good luck!!

dandymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandymom Posted 28 Jan 2012 , 12:45am
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetnlow30

I bought some blue color mist to highlight the water on the cake I am making, since I don't own an airbrush set yet. I figured it would be nice to have areas of light and dark for contrast. I tried a small sample on a plate and this stuff smelled badly of ethanol. Now I am worried that it will make my cake taste bad. Does anyone here use it and will it leave a taste? Do you have any suggestions of how I can make the water look more realistic. I just want to use butter cream, not piping gel since I don't care for the texture of it. I plan to use a light cornflower blue butter cream to make ripples on the water then I was going to use the mist to add highlights. It is a larger cake (about 26" X 18") and approximately half with be water so it needs to look realistic. I would love to hear your tips icon_smile.gif

Ive tried it before and didn't like it. I had great success with Duff's color spray that I bought at Michaels. It didn't smell and covered much better.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%