prettycupcake Posted 24 Jan 2012 , 2:44pm

Hi All,

I wanted to change the name of my still non established home bake shop. I wanted to name it"Cake Fetish", but my hubby says that that name is too raunchy? What does everyone think??

Thanks for replying!!

30 replies
tripleD Posted 24 Jan 2012 , 2:54pm

It's not bad. It's different. It all depends on the area you live in.
When I had a mobile concession stand I went by triple D Delights. It was for my three boys. There names begin with "D" and they are the delights of my life.
When I opened my cake shop I changed the name to 3-D Cakery not only for the 3-D Cakes but still for my 3 D boys. I felt if I left the name Triple D That Men Would be stopping by for pole dancers. Not cake.
Good luck on your name icon_biggrin.gif

prettycupcake Posted 24 Jan 2012 , 3:04pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleD

It's not bad. It's different. It all depends on the area you live in.
When I had a mobile concession stand I went by triple D Delights. It was for my three boys. There names begin with "D" and they are the delights of my life.
When I opened my cake shop I changed the name to 3-D Cakery not only for the 3-D Cakes but still for my 3 D boys. I felt if I left the name Triple D That Men Would be stopping by for pole dancers. Not cake.
Good luck on your name icon_biggrin.gif




I'm in New Jersey, and believe it or not in my area there's not allot of bakery who work with 3-D or sugar art cakes. I absloutly love the name but I'm afraid it might also send a wrong message....im torn. Love your business name and that it has a whole story behind it. I'm Egyptian married to a Cuban lol. If I don't go with that name I was thinking of incorporating something from the middle east side of me in to my name....aghhh so confused lol

MsGF Posted 24 Jan 2012 , 3:14pm

I like it. Cake Fetish, I don't think people will get the wrong idea about what you sell. It's catchy, I would keep it.

Good Luck with it.

prettycupcake Posted 24 Jan 2012 , 3:16pm

Oh thank you!!! I really do love that name..

Debbye27 Posted 24 Jan 2012 , 3:23pm

I didn't have any dirty thoughts when I read it- I thought - someone who loves cakes!
Good name! - Keep it icon_smile.gif

mysweets Posted 24 Jan 2012 , 3:28pm

I like it! icon_biggrin.gif

sweetcakesbyjen Posted 24 Jan 2012 , 3:35pm

I like it too! I don't think raunchy when I see it. It's like saying someone has a shoe fetish...and there is nothing bad in that. icon_lol.gif

kimmisue2009 Posted 24 Jan 2012 , 3:41pm

I think it's cute. Prolly the only folks who make something negative of it are the ones with weird things hidden in the back of their closets...........

AnnieCahill Posted 24 Jan 2012 , 4:29pm

All I can think about is the movie Bridesmaids where the letters in her business name Cake Baby had fallen off and someone creatively "filled in the blanks." LOLz.

prettycupcake Posted 24 Jan 2012 , 4:56pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieCahill

All I can think about is the movie Bridesmaids where the letters in her business name Cake Baby had fallen off and someone creatively "filled in the blanks." LOLz.




lol thats too funny...i saw the Movie!

Thank you for your opinion love it!!

gatorcake Posted 24 Jan 2012 , 4:58pm

Is it raunchy? No. Is a good word to include in the name of a business? On my view no. Raunchy or not the term carries negative meanings--both in terms of literal meanings and associative meanings. The poster who said there is nothing wrong with a shoe fetish, on my view, does not have a good conception of the term fetish.

At worst it carries the ideas of sexual fixation and best it refers to irrational obsessions or idolatry (don't know what your religious beliefs are if any but it is part of the history of the term). To say someone loves shoes is not the same thing as characterizing them as having a shoe fetish. The latter implies they are irrationally obsessive about shoes--that is not a good way to characterize someone.

I doubt most people would think positively of someone who they meet for the first time who characterizes themselves as having a shoe fetish (even if they did not think of a sexual fixation). Relevant here because we are thinking of customers who see your business for the first time.

It is not simply a question of what you might think the term means. You must consider the general usage of the term and reactions people would give to seeing it in the name of the business. I do not think it is a stretch to say that most people would prefer a business named Cake Obsession than one named Cake Fetish.

sweetcakesbyjen Posted 24 Jan 2012 , 5:12pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorcake

Is it raunchy? No. Is a good word to include in the name of a business? On my view no. Raunchy or not the term carries negative meanings--both in terms of literal meanings and associative meanings. The poster who said there is nothing wrong with a shoe fetish, on my view, does not have a good conception of the term fetish.

At worst it carries the ideas of sexual fixation and best it refers to irrational obsessions or idolatry (don't know what your religious beliefs are if any but it is part of the history of the term). To say someone loves shoes is not the same thing as characterizing them as having a shoe fetish. The latter implies they are irrationally obsessive about shoes--that is not a good way to characterize someone.

I doubt most people would think positively of someone who they meet for the first time who characterizes themselves as having a shoe fetish (even if they did not think of a sexual fixation). Relevant here because we are thinking of customers who see your business for the first time.

It is not simply a question of what you might think the term means. You must consider the general usage of the term and reactions people would give to seeing it in the name of the business. I do not think it is a stretch to say that most people would prefer a business named Cake Obsession than one named Cake Fetish.




Ok, so I'm innocent and naive and almost 30... to me fetish means you like something... how far someone wants to take a 'fetish' is up to the individual. So put your way, the word pry should not be used in a business name, but my mind does not work or think like that. Did not mean to start a controversy here, but she likes cakes, so please don't attack my innocent way of thinking. icon_smile.gif

FaithfullyCakes Posted 24 Jan 2012 , 5:33pm

If a .com website is important to you the domain is already being used. Again, just if it's a priority. I know that was one of the deal breakers for me when naming my business. I did not want a .net or substitute with additional unneeded words just to get a .com, etc... so if I couldn't get the .com of the direct name I liked I didn't consider the name.

HTH!

AnnieCahill Posted 24 Jan 2012 , 5:35pm

But she could put her state abbreviation behind it. It's minor and doesn't negatively affect the address.

Kiddiekakes Posted 24 Jan 2012 , 5:37pm

When I hear the word fetish it brings to mind a sexual nature.I would probably try something else but of course this is JMO...

mommytocjnalexis Posted 24 Jan 2012 , 5:39pm

My $0.02 only, I would say it depends on the area you live in. If you live in a quaint suburbia type of town with white picket fences then you may want to steer away from the fetish word. On the other hand, if you live in (and will be operating in) a more edgy area then I don't see anything wrong with fetish in the name. For the record I think the name is cute but you never know how someone else will take it either. And my opinion again is that no matter what name you come up with someone will have an opinion so at the end of the day do what feels right for you.

labmom Posted 24 Jan 2012 , 6:03pm

I have read all the replys and most do not have any problem with your name. I think it is cute. People have all kinds of fetishes... (spelling?) If cake is a fetish thats mine... I love to make and EAT cake... I can see the name in a big city with no problem.. they might think you make the x rated cakes with the name... who knows.

Around here I am sure that everyone would have something to say and check it out but depending on the cakes that you have and the look of your business it could be a good thing to bring in the curious who will be good customers.. the name is just interesting enough... I like it but what is important is that You feel good with it.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

prettycupcake Posted 24 Jan 2012 , 7:33pm

Wow...so much to take in...I think I'm more confused then when I started...funny thing is I was taking votes while I was gone and I came up with Sweet Cake Fetish!!! Whatever it is its going to have fetish...I really do appreciate all the input and opinions...Whatever your reply was to my question I took it all in and came up with that....Hopefully it doesn't offend anyone...I too believe that a fetish is an obsession or a fixation and thats EXACTLY what I have for what I do with my cakes...each and everyone of them...from the research to the sketch to the lil characters....Cake is my FETISH! lol...Don't get me wrong I LOVE shoes...but I would trade all of mine for my own bakery one day! As far as the ".com" I too checked and i saw someone has it in New Mexico.... icon_sad.gif but they don't have Sweet Cake Fetish...I also checked with Registering the name in my state..Its good to go!

tripleD Posted 25 Jan 2012 , 12:39am

Good Luck. I like it! thumbs_up.gif

prettycupcake Posted 26 Jan 2012 , 6:12pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaithfullyCakes

If a .com website is important to you the domain is already being used. Again, just if it's a priority. I know that was one of the deal breakers for me when naming my business. I did not want a .net or substitute with additional unneeded words just to get a .com, etc... so if I couldn't get the .com of the direct name I liked I didn't consider the name.

HTH!




Hi there, quick question how did u link the logo under ur pic to you Facebook page???

CCupcakez Posted 26 Jan 2012 , 11:22pm

i'm probably not the best person to comment on your name since mine is 'cupcakes et merde' which literally means 'cupcakes-n-sh**' lol.

so...compared to mine, i don't think it's that bad but it really depends on how comfortable you are with it & what your target audience is like in terms of personality.

surprisingly enough my name works out great for me and what I'm trying to do. I've been very lucky lol

FlourPots Posted 26 Jan 2012 , 11:57pm

I don't think kinky or sex when I hear the word fetish, unless it's foot fetish or something.

I LOVE the name Cake Fetish...it's one of the best I've ever heard.
I think "Sweet" ruins it though.

dawnybird Posted 27 Jan 2012 , 12:40am

I have to agree with Flourpots: I like the name Cake Fetish. I think the very few people who make something ugly out of it, well, you don't need their business anyway. However, I think "Sweet" before it doesn't fit. It sounds a little clunky. Really, just go with what you like. It's your business! My husband and I sell exotic hoof stock and when we were trying to name our website, everybody had something to say: that sounds goofy, or that sounds like a porn site, or some other derogatory remark. We finally picked what we liked and went with it. Good luck on your new business!!

vgcea Posted 27 Jan 2012 , 6:15am

What you 'Innocently" think or feel a word means does not change its actual meaning. I think it's an interesting name, and have nothing against it. It's your business, and you have every right to name it whatever you like. And yes, whether you agree with the true meaning or not, the word fetish does have sexual connotations but it also has other meanings that may apply to your "fetish" for cakes.

fet·ish   /ˈfɛtɪʃ, ˈfitɪʃ/ Show Spelled[fet-ish, fee-tish] Show IPA
noun
1. an object regarded with awe as being the embodiment or habitation of a potent spirit or as having magical potency.
2. any object, idea, etc., eliciting unquestioning reverence, respect, or devotion: to make a fetish of high grades.
3. Psychology . any object or nongenital part of the body that causes a habitual erotic response or fixation.

FaithfullyCakes Posted 27 Jan 2012 , 2:10pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by prettycupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaithfullyCakes

If a .com website is important to you the domain is already being used. Again, just if it's a priority. I know that was one of the deal breakers for me when naming my business. I did not want a .net or substitute with additional unneeded words just to get a .com, etc... so if I couldn't get the .com of the direct name I liked I didn't consider the name.

HTH!



Hi there, quick question how did u link the logo under ur pic to you Facebook page???




Hey there. sorry, just seeing this. Looks like you figured it out though! icon_smile.gif

Quote by %username% on %date%

%body%