Can I Have Any Business Name I Want?

Business By kimkake Updated 24 Jan 2012 , 7:25pm by kimkake

kimkake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimkake Posted 23 Jan 2012 , 8:36pm
post #1 of 5

I have decided on a business name - can I go ahead and have some business cards printed up and some marketing done before my licensing is final? I need to have the cards for a bridal show coming up in about a month - is there someone with the state I need to check with first?? Or can I just have my name?
I searched google and facbook and the such, and there is someone with the name in Hawaii - but I am in Wisconsin - does this matter??
I know I've seen duplicate names out there before - could someone with knowledge on naming your business please let me know.
Thanks so much!

4 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 23 Jan 2012 , 8:42pm
post #2 of 5

you need to "claim" your name generally with your Secretary of State. That reserves the name in your state. As far as the other name being in Hawaii, it is possible that they have ti reserved throughout the country. You'll have to check. Is there a tm next to there name, or sm?

PS I own names and websites that I don't use, just so my competitors can't have them.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 23 Jan 2012 , 9:31pm
post #3 of 5

Here in Alberta,Canada you have to go to the registrars office and do a search to see if the name is available..If not you can pay and register it..if not you have to choose something else.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 23 Jan 2012 , 10:59pm
post #4 of 5

You usually have to check with both the state and the county, as well as running a trademark search.

kimkake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimkake Posted 24 Jan 2012 , 7:25pm
post #5 of 5

After quite a few phone calls, I got to the correct people for my state and just have to mail in a form and pay $15 to "reserve" my name until my licensing is done!
So happy - my name was available!! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%