Chocolate Ribbons And Cake Wrapping Question

Decorating By cmehappy Updated 24 Jan 2012 , 3:15pm by DianeLM

cmehappy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmehappy Posted 23 Jan 2012 , 11:55am
post #1 of 6

I have been wanting to try making chocolate ribbons and wrapping cakes in chocolate, but I don't live close to a craft store to buy the acetate sheets that people have said you need to use for this. Is there a different plastic or waxed paper or something that I can use to make these things? Thanks

5 replies
DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 23 Jan 2012 , 3:19pm
post #2 of 6

You can use the shiny side of freezer paper. The only potential problem will be that you can't see through it. Not a problem if you're making bow loops, though.

Or, you can use wax paper. Problem with that is it can be rather flimsy. I've used it many times. Like anything else, it takes practice. icon_smile.gif

cmehappy Posted 24 Jan 2012 , 3:48am
post #3 of 6

Thanks for your suggestions. I will give it a try using those and see how things work out for me.

GarciaGM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GarciaGM Posted 24 Jan 2012 , 4:11am
post #4 of 6

I know nothing about this, but what about transparency sheets? Like the ones teachers use on overhead projectors? Maybe those could be picked up at someplace like a Walmart if you don't have a craft store nearby. Just a suggestion.

cmehappy Posted 24 Jan 2012 , 4:44am
post #5 of 6

I like that idea, but I don't know if that would be considered food safe. Does anyone know for sure if transparency sheets would be safe to use?

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 24 Jan 2012 , 3:15pm
post #6 of 6

Transparency sheets might be too stiff for bow loops. I'm not sure as I haven't seen a transparency sheet in years. icon_smile.gif

But I guarantee they are too short for wrapping a cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%