Is This Possible? Ice Cream Cake With Fondant.

Decorating By destini377 Updated 25 Jan 2012 , 5:46pm by Marianna46

destini377 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
destini377 Posted 23 Jan 2012 , 4:34am
post #1 of 2

I'm wondering if this is even possible to do or if the fondant just wont work.

I need to make a small cake to look like a bag of frozen peas. Thought it might also be fun to make it an ice cream cake. So, the cake will be slightly pillow-like in shape and some of the ice cream may be exposed when I carve it. Will this be a problem for covering in fondant? I generally like to use Satin Ice.

Thanks for your time and input!

Destini

1 reply
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 25 Jan 2012 , 5:46pm
post #2 of 2

Here's the problem with using ice cream and fondant together. You basically have to keep the cake in the freezer to keep it from melting. But when you freeze fondant and thaw it, the condensation that forms on it generally melts it or cracks it or otherwise ruins it. My standard suggestion for this is to box up the whole thing (assuming you have enough space in your freezer) and wrap it airtight in several layers of plastic wrap. Let the whole thing thaw without unwrapping it, so that the condensation forms on the outside of the box and not ont the fondant. Of course, this is an ice-cream cake, so this is going to be a problem - the cake will still have to be cold enough to keep the ice cream frozen after you unwrap it, so this probably won't work. Sorry to be such a pessamist!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%