Kaybaby Posted 23 Jan 2012 , 2:39am
post #1 of

I would like to make my own topper, but have no idea where to start. I want an initial "F" (in purple) and 2 music notes (in black). Below is a picture of the letter (Duchess font) and the notes. The material does not have to be fancy (cardboard?). I want to be able to attach crystals/rhinestones to them and have them hold up. I had a difficult time cutting from regular paper free hand, I know that I won't be able to cut freehand through anything thicker and have it look decent. I'm also trying to do it fairly inexpensively.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thank you all so much, this will be for my daughters orchestra banquet this summer.

Vonda

Image

7 replies
cownsj Posted 23 Jan 2012 , 3:15am
post #2 of

I know using scissors on intricate shapes can be difficult, but how are you with using an exacto knife? You could cut out your letter and notes making sure to put a piece of cardboard under your paper first, Then use them as a pattern that you put on top of rolled out gumpaste and cut again, then let it harden.

Kaybaby Posted 23 Jan 2012 , 3:58am
post #3 of
Quote:
Originally Posted by cownsj

I know using scissors on intricate shapes can be difficult, but how are you with using an exacto knife? You could cut out your letter and notes making sure to put a piece of cardboard under your paper first, Then use them as a pattern that you put on top of rolled out gumpaste and cut again, then let it harden.




Thank you so much for the suggestion. I'm leaning more towards non edible and prefer to keep them flat to add the rhinestones.

Vonda

cownsj Posted 23 Jan 2012 , 4:06am
post #4 of

If you choose to use cardboard, you can still do it using the exacto knife. Just don't try to cut it all the way through in one cut. Make a light cut around your pattern, then just keep making pass after pass until you get all the way through.

Kaybaby Posted 23 Jan 2012 , 4:08am
post #5 of
Quote:
Originally Posted by cownsj

If you choose to use cardboard, you can still do it using the exacto knife. Just don't try to cut it all the way through in one cut. Make a light cut around your pattern, then just keep making pass after pass until you get all the way through.




I will give cardboard a try, I'm just afraid the edges will be rough or jagged.

Vonda

cownsj Posted 23 Jan 2012 , 4:09am
post #6 of

You can probably soften any jagged edges with scissors at that point. But you will get a flat surface if you roll out gumpaste to use, and that will cut very cleanly. Just let it sit, untouched for a day or two, then turn it over so the other side can begin to dry.

Kaybaby Posted 23 Jan 2012 , 4:14am
post #7 of
Quote:
Originally Posted by cownsj

You can probably soften any jagged edges with scissors at that point. But you will get a flat surface if you roll out gumpaste to use, and that will cut very cleanly. Just let it sit, untouched for a day or two, then turn it over so the other side can begin to dry.




Thank you for being so helpful.

Vonda

cownsj Posted 23 Jan 2012 , 4:21am
post #8 of

That's what we're all here for. I hope it does help. You can practice either or both methods now. The gumpaste will keep, and you'll get a feel for how you most want to do it. Good luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%