Completely decorated cake: freeze or refrigerate?

Decorating By twosweetcakes Updated 23 Jan 2012 , 8:45pm by Shelly4481

twosweetcakes Posted 23 Jan 2012 , 2:12am
post #1 of 4

I made a cake for a friend's baby shower that was scheduled for this past Saturday, but was cancelled at the last minute due to snow icon_sad.gif
Edited to add, here is a link to the picture: http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2253241/cute-as-a-button-cake
If the link doesn't work, it's in my album and the cake is "Cute As A Button"

3 replies
KimmyD Posted 23 Jan 2012 , 2:47am
post #2 of 4

I too, am interested in knowing what other's opinion/experience is on this. I had a similar situation this weekend...My niece asked me to make a cake for her best friend's birthday but when I called her to ask when she was picking it up (after it was completely finished) she said, "it's for NEXT Friday Aunt K!" Okay, well, I had her text she sent me about when she wanted it and she got the date completely wrong. So.....because I was doing it with no charge to her and it was her mistake I told her she would just have to freeze it or have b-day cake early because next week is booked solid for me. I put it in the box, sealed every opening with tape and put it in the freezer. It's buttercream covered with fondant decorations. I'm a little concerned that the red and black will "bleed", but at this point, I really can't do anything about it.

So, just curious to know of prior experience. icon_smile.gif

BlakesCakes Posted 23 Jan 2012 , 2:46pm
post #3 of 4

Box completed, room temp cake. Wrap box in 2 layers of saran wrap, 1 layer of foil. Freeze.

24 hrs. before serving, place still wrapped box in refrigerator.

If cake is very large, place on counter at least 6 hrs. before serving==STILL BOXED & WRAPPED.

Once cake comes to room temp, unwrap, display, serve.

Done with these cakes. No dripping or running. Client said it was perfect.

Rae

Shelly4481 Posted 23 Jan 2012 , 8:45pm
post #4 of 4

I agree with blakescakes, I too have had to stick in freezer due to client changing date. I just wrap in saran wrap, put in the fridge to slowly thaw the day before needing it...I find it doesn't sweat as much...it really does work great!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%