Completely Decorated Cake: Freeze Or Refrigerate?

Decorating By twosweetcakes Updated 23 Jan 2012 , 8:45pm by Shelly4481

twosweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twosweetcakes Posted 23 Jan 2012 , 2:12am
post #1 of 4

I made a cake for a friend's baby shower that was scheduled for this past Saturday, but was cancelled at the last minute due to snow icon_sad.gif It's been rescheduled for this coming Sunday - a little over a week since I made it. Making a new cake is out of the question, so my question is, which is best: to refrigerate it or freeze it (as is)? I've never frozen a decorated cake before, so I'm very clueless icon_smile.gif It's a pound cake with a cream cheese buttercream filling and icing. If she froze it, would the icing be messed up when it "defrosts"? All of the decorations are made of fondant and gumpaste...I've never frozen them before. Thanks!

Edited to add, here is a link to the picture: http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2253241/cute-as-a-button-cake
If the link doesn't work, it's in my album and the cake is "Cute As A Button"

3 replies
KimmyD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimmyD Posted 23 Jan 2012 , 2:47am
post #2 of 4

I too, am interested in knowing what other's opinion/experience is on this. I had a similar situation this weekend...My niece asked me to make a cake for her best friend's birthday but when I called her to ask when she was picking it up (after it was completely finished) she said, "it's for NEXT Friday Aunt K!" Okay, well, I had her text she sent me about when she wanted it and she got the date completely wrong. So.....because I was doing it with no charge to her and it was her mistake I told her she would just have to freeze it or have b-day cake early because next week is booked solid for me. I put it in the box, sealed every opening with tape and put it in the freezer. It's buttercream covered with fondant decorations. I'm a little concerned that the red and black will "bleed", but at this point, I really can't do anything about it.

So, just curious to know of prior experience. icon_smile.gif

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 23 Jan 2012 , 2:46pm
post #3 of 4

Box completed, room temp cake. Wrap box in 2 layers of saran wrap, 1 layer of foil. Freeze.

24 hrs. before serving, place still wrapped box in refrigerator.

If cake is very large, place on counter at least 6 hrs. before serving==STILL BOXED & WRAPPED.

Once cake comes to room temp, unwrap, display, serve.

Done with these cakes. No dripping or running. Client said it was perfect.

Rae

Shelly4481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelly4481 Posted 23 Jan 2012 , 8:45pm
post #4 of 4

I agree with blakescakes, I too have had to stick in freezer due to client changing date. I just wrap in saran wrap, put in the fridge to slowly thaw the day before needing it...I find it doesn't sweat as much...it really does work great!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%