Writing In The Sand!!??

Decorating By ChelleW Updated 23 Jan 2012 , 1:09am by sweetnams

ChelleW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChelleW Posted 22 Jan 2012 , 11:37pm
post #1 of 2

Hi I would like to write my son's name in sand on his under the sea (Octonauts) cake. I have seen that you can use combination of crushed biscuits and sugar for the sand. I want it to look the same as writing with a stick on the beach does anyone know of best way to do this - should i wet it a little and trace with toothpick or something? How do you make it stay together and not blow off? We are outside and I really don't want a sandstorm icon_biggrin.gif

1 reply
sweetnams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetnams Posted 23 Jan 2012 , 1:09am
post #2 of 2

I use light brown sugar for sand always, which keeps it in place on the cake - heavy enough and will not blow away...also it gives a nice wet sand look. I have used it on my beach theme cake, there was icing underneath it. You can use a pretzel stick or something thicker than a toothpick so what you write in the sand is visible. A toothpick will make very thin lines. If you are using the sugar on the cake board, I would suggest painting a thin film of piping gel and then spreading the brown sugar so that it adheres better. Write while its still wet and then let dry completely.

Hope this helps!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%