Not So Black Buttercream

Decorating By LynetteB Updated 23 Jan 2012 , 1:30am by kakeladi

LynetteB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LynetteB Posted 22 Jan 2012 , 11:27pm
post #1 of 3

Hi all,
I've just attempted my first batch of black buttercream and well it ain't so black!

I started off with a dark chocolate buttercream then started adding the black colouring... Quite a lot, but I expected that!
Anyway it just won't go black. BUT when I look closely at it, it has specks of both black and white, so when looking normally at it it looks grey.
I've let it sit, and still no different.

I used a half butter half shortening recipe, the only thing I can think of is the shortening I've used is white coloured hasn't absorbed the black colouring. I'm in Australia so the shortening I used was copha.

Anyone else had this problem???

Thanks in advance!
Lynette

2 replies
Lovelyladylibra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lovelyladylibra Posted 23 Jan 2012 , 12:47am
post #2 of 3

the only thing I can suggest is to try waiting a little longer perhaps

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 23 Jan 2012 , 1:30am
post #3 of 3

that is a common problem with most dark/intense colors. It helps a lot if the color is made the day/night before needing. This gives the color time to 'develop' and get dark enough. You can keep all of your tiny bits of left over icing in a jar in the fzr until you have enough/need some black. Mix all colors together = don't worry what it looks like now = and add some black paste/jel color. You won't need near as much paste to get dark. Another 'trick' many use is to add black gel to chocolate icing. It does not need to be real black, a nice charcoal gray will be fine because the icing will continue to develop color/darken as it is exposed to air on the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%